PDA

View Full Version : turbo manifold conversion

panchosteam
10-16-2003, 19:05
hi,fellas we need some info on installing a 96 6.5 td in a 84 2500 gmc. the turbo cannot be mounted, because it hits the accumulator and housing, please assist. thanks

catmandoo
10-17-2003, 04:54
well i just happen to be in the process of taking the banks off my 84 and putting on my 92 i needed a different exhaust manifold so if your interested in my old banks manifold plus i also have the banks crossover pipe for a 4x4.

slagona
10-17-2003, 06:56
Several members have put a 6.5 TD in the 80's style trucks with A/C.

When I did mine, I modified the evaporator and fan housing unit that attaches to the firewall inside the engine compartment.

I obtained an evaporator/fan unit that sticks out 90 degrees in relation to the firewall - I think the S-10 series had this type of setup. The existing one came out at an angle towards the engine. I cut both units in half, separating the fan from the evaporator. I bonded my existing fan unit to the new 90 degree evaporator unit. Attached the new assembly to the firewall and sealed it up with A/C goop that furnance installers use to seal the A/C lines going to the plenum in a furnace. To bond the two halfs together, I used fiberglass cloth and resin - first I matched the halfs up, then tied them together, tested for fit, then fiberglassed them together.

I had just enough clearance to get the homemade 3" mandrel bent downpip past the new evaporator unit and then between the engine and the frame.

Worked out well.

Good luck, it really isn't too difficult to do.

--Scott

panchosteam
10-17-2003, 16:59
Hi guys , thank you for your responses , this is the story so far: i have a 1984 gmc sierra classic 3/4 ton pick up it had a 6.2 in it but because that engine is no longer in my posesion i found a 6.5 td out of a 96 sierra pick up and this is the one that i'm working with right now . So far the engine is mounted and tied in to the transmision, i took the turbo off so i can install it easy, the turbo is a gm5 and i had to take of the air conditioner housing so my turbo can be fited, now i have a lot of room im just a litle worried about the exahust pipe that comes out of the turbo on the back im worried that i might not have the room that this pipe might require. Does some one know what size it is? and has any one put this type of engine on this kind of trucks? please any help is apreciated. thank you guys

mdapperdan
10-19-2003, 16:38
Catmandoo,If you still have the parts that was offered I may be interested.
Thanks Dan

catmandoo
10-19-2003, 19:11
ya dan i still have em plus other stuff email me if still interested at kjmoore66@hotmail.com