PDA

View Full Version : Gauge cluster printed circuit

Robyn
06-26-2007, 17:03
Found the gremlin in my volt meter and its definately the cluster.
I head to the bone yard and get a "GOOD USED ONE" that is supposed to work OK.

This morning I am looking it over real close and discover one trace on the mylar circuit panel that is broken.

There are no more around here and the price was reasonable enough to keep it and have it rebuilt in Seattle by ISS co.

I am wondering if anyone here has used the liquid copper stuff that is used on the rear window defoggers to fix this sort of thing??????????/

ISS has no trades available so I would have to tie up the rig for a some time while they fix the cluster.
If I can do a quick fix on the used one I got then I can have mine gone through completely.

The mylar is so flimsy I hate to try and solder a wire across the break. ?????

Any thoughts

Robyn

DmaxMaverick
06-26-2007, 18:42
You do not want to try a solder job on a PCB. The conductors are just too thin. You can try the liquid stuff. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If you can ID the entire circuit with the break, bypass the whole thing with some small gage (22awg) wire, and solder it at the ends. They're delicate, so easy on the heat. Low temp solder works best. Which circuit is broken? And, are there any other legs off that circuit?

gmctd
06-26-2007, 18:44
Or - you can scrape the copper trace shiny with an exacto blade - scrape each end towards the break, so as not to further damage the area - quickly dab some resin-core solder on each side of the break - tin a suitable length of strand from normal auto wiring (what I do is strip the wire, fold one strand out, tin it, use the remaining insulated piece to isolate my fingers from the ensuing conflagration) - quickly flow one end to one solder dab, then the other - melts the mylar if you're real slow, but the circuit is reestablished - RTV it when completed

Try it - you'll like it..........

Robyn
06-26-2007, 18:58
I have thought of both ideas but wanted to troll it around a tad and see what the general concesus was on any particular idea.

Unfortunately I dont have any idea where the particular circuit goes as it disapears inside the unit and there is no way to see what it does.
I think it may go to the cruise control board thats inside.
I dont have a schematic or a diagram of the beast so Im pretty much gonna have to wing it.

Thanks Guys

Robyn

Warren96
06-27-2007, 07:04
Is this circuit for the '94 6.5L, or for an addition to your fleet? The reason I ask is because I have the service manual for mine.

Robyn
06-27-2007, 07:36
I have books for the 94 the 95 dually I just bought is the little monster with the issue.

Well the fleet has dwindled a bunch now.
The 91 Burb is gone over a week ago and the 86 dually left last night with its new owners.

Very happy to see those rigs sell so quickly..:D :D

Best parts is I used Craigs list to advertise so the cost was Zipo.

Only had to run the ad once too.

Anyway I think I will order a set of books on the 95 soon.

Most of the main stuff is all the SOS, just the little crap like wiring that can get interesting.

Thanks