PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again.......

Jolie
10-16-2003, 19:18
Does it ever stop?? Our truck broke down yet again tonight, made it out of the shop for a whole week. This time it was the high/low shift fork in the transfer case which caused the tranny to not stay in gear.

Painfully close to the $5000 mark in repairs, nothing like having $12k into a 94 K3500!!

LanceW
10-17-2003, 06:15
bright side: still cheaper than a $40,000 dmax.

Most of the common problems are addressed on this forum in great detail, and the fixes are possible even for a mechanical klutz like me. 150k is a bunch of miles- things wear out. When you get through fixing what the last guy broke before he sold it to you, it will make a lot more sense and you will appreciate the truck more. Gotta say the t-case shift fork is a new one on me, though.

Oh, and to answer your question- No, it never stops :rolleyes: . I'm not ready to trade it yet, though.

damork
10-17-2003, 09:57
Jolie,
I just replaced mine a month ago - about 167k miles when it happened and it caught me by total surprise. Now after the fact I learn that it is common with the transfer cases with aluminum forks in them. Cost me $800 and I don't like that when I usually do my own work - it chose to happen on a family trip.

I understand high speed driving warms up the fork, especially after the plastic pads wear away from the collar it holds in place. There is no steel replacement available and the only enhancement you can provide is to change the transfer case fluid frequently. Apparently it warms up quite a bit when traveling at interstate speeds. The collar spins in the fork all the time whether you are in 4x4 hi or low or 2wd, so it is always wearing. Synthetic may help, but I'm convinced cooling would help.