PDA

View Full Version : gas to diesel swap help

abec
06-28-2007, 17:21
hey i have a 1980 chev step side 4x4 manual with a 350 gas motor and am currently in the prosses of getting all the parts together to do a motor swap i have a 1984 chevy diesel donour truck with a 6.2 n/a c motor with a auto tranny 2 wheel drive any help witrh what parts i'll need out of the donour truck and what i should be looking out for in the swap and any hints or tips would be of great help thanks :cool:

neo
06-28-2007, 19:50
There are other more experieced on the page than myself, but I am in the process of a similar endevour. I am swapping in a 6.2 HMMWV engine into a 89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer.
I had an 83 van as the original doner. Robyn is probably the best i have seen with the trannys, and one of the best with the engines, but for certain you will need a 4wd adapter and short output shaft for the tranny if you are gonna use the 2wd one. For the engine, I grabbed the engine harness that included all the glow-plug wiring, the brake booster (hyrdo-boost instead of vacuum) radiator and even the fuel fill inlet parts for the different sized pump nozzle. Don't forget to get the primary filter located probably on the pass side near front of the rear wheel. Just a start, but again, many others are very familiar with this. I am a neophite.

abec
06-28-2007, 21:21
thanks i never would have thought about the fuel fill untill i was siting at the pump trying to get diesel in lol. i'm going to reuse the standerd tranny in my 4x4

gmctd
06-29-2007, 05:56
Closely scrutinize the Diesel donor truck - swapout everything on the gasser (patooie!) that is not identical, from engine bay to inside cab.

abec
01-20-2008, 22:16
any got any suggestions on how to fit the diesel rad into a 79 front rad support ????? any pics would help

mmusmanno
02-04-2008, 07:29
hey, how did you make out with the conversion from gas to diesel? I have an 83 k10 350 gasser, that i'm looking for a diesel donor to start the same project. all info is greatly appreciated. thanks

abec
02-05-2008, 18:03
its going good actually i still have my 350 gas motor in my truck cause i want to completly rebuild the deisel befor it goes in. with your truck you won't have any problems with anything fitting the rad from the donour diesel will fit and so will everything else just make sure you take anything to do with the deisel truck and swap it including the battery trays and gas tanks and fillers and if you need any parts i found lmc truck to be the best for finding parts like battery trays etc. i'll post some pics later for you