PDA

View Full Version : Duramax towing ??

Bliz
07-01-2007, 11:14
This is my first post and although I do not own a Chevy Diesel yet, I will shortly. My question is about whether I should buy a dually or the single rear wheel 3500HD. Often during the winter months we tow a 45 foot goose-neck snowmobile trailer that weighs about 12000 lbs loaded. I have towed it in the past with a Ford F-350 dually diesel which tows it great when it is not broken down, but I really don't need the extra set of wheels for 90% of my use. Do any of you have experience towing a similar trailer with the single rear wheels? Thanks for any help or info.

Mark Rinker
07-02-2007, 07:15
Is the trailer enclosed or open deck? I haven't towed a gooseneck that long, but if its enclosed and towed in the winter, I'd opt for the extra skins out back on the truck for lateral stability in crosswinds. If its an open deck, I think the SRW would be fine.

I have pulled both 25' gooseneck and bumper trailers of the same weight and loads with no issues, year-around in Minnesota with SRW trucks. No issues.

Bliz
07-02-2007, 10:16
Mark, Thanks for the info. It is an enclosed trailer and even though it is quite tall, about 11 feet, I have never had an issue with wind. The day I picked up the trailer I actually did it with a single rear wheel Ford and we had wind warnings for up to 50 MPH. I never experienced anything like that but it was windy and no problem getting it the 100 miles home. Since then it has been towed mainly by the dually.

D_R_C
07-02-2007, 16:15
Mark, Thanks for the info. It is an enclosed trailer and even though it is quite tall, about 11 feet, I have never had an issue with wind. The day I picked up the trailer I actually did it with a single rear wheel Ford and we had wind warnings for up to 50 MPH. I never experienced anything like that but it was windy and no problem getting it the 100 miles home. Since then it has been towed mainly by the dually.

Just to inform you the 3500 SRW does not have the helper leaf like the DRW,I was disapointed when my truck came in.
My ex 03 F250 (3/4ton)SRW Lariat 4X4 long bed 6.0 diesel had the helper leaf and only went down 2 3/4" with my 32` toyhauler 5th wheel hooked up.
My new 3500 (1 ton)SRW no helper leaf dropped 3 1/2" same trailer nothing changed,I parked the trailer with the Ford and hooked up with the GMC.
I am not impressed and here I went from a 3/4 ton Ford to a 1 ton GMC.
If I was you I would go with the 3500 DRW,unless you do what I will have to do,add rear air bags to make it more stable.
I will be towing this weekend so I`ll know more on the handling,but I would think if it does not hold the weight as good it could be a little squirley.

carco
07-03-2007, 18:21
My 2500 pulls a 38' enclosed gooseneck loaded with atvs, 100gal H2O, etc, around 14000# total GVW truck & trailer, little over 21000#. trailer was a tandem axle, I added a third axle forward of the tandems to lessen the pin load somewhat and to increase brakes and to increase trailer GVWR. Pulls good, stops decent, but, yes, truck rear axle is maxed or I should say tires and suspension are maxed out. Pulled in Colorado Rockies to Taylor Park Reseivor, WOW what a truck! bob...............

jaoder
07-04-2007, 14:37
I would recommend a DRW 3500 to pull a trailer that long, I had a 40' enclosed trailer I carried a race car in. I pulled it with a 2500HD 6.0 CC SRW, although it pulled it ok it was somewhat of a handful in high cross winds and it didn't have the brakes. I got pushed through more than one light by misjudging the stopping distance. When I upgraded to a 48' trailer with LQ I also upgraded to a 04 3500 CC DRW LLY truck. Its much better pulling because of the Dmax more stable going down the road and stops much better but part of that is the trailer has better brakes also.

Bliz
07-04-2007, 18:25
jaoder, How much did the 40' and the 48' trailers weigh when they were loaded? Thanks-Bliz