PDA

View Full Version : Help, Need answers almost like in a day or two at the latest brake problem

xtrempickup
07-01-2007, 18:32
I drove my truck 95 6.5L 4x4 turbo diesel the other day. I get to work, the steering is getting tight and the brakes are starting to vibrate. I get out, the power steering is empty and i got a puddle under the Hydro-boost area. I drove it home parked it filled it later and watched for the leak. The leak is between the master cylinder and the hydro-boost unit itself. Here's the $$$$ question, Can i replace the seal, is there a seal between the 2? or do i have to buy a new or rebuilt hydro-boost unit.shows code JD6 in my glove box, that means i have that unit I have to buy for, as there is a few, a JD7 and a JD8 also. Can I use a JD7 or JD8, The JD6 unit is 234$ and the others are less by about 50$? whats the difference, I'm guessing not the same, but don't know how. found those prices already. This is my daily driver, need to fix it asap. thanks

Robyn
07-01-2007, 19:12
Best deal is to get the right one and just replace the unit.
I have torn into a couple of those Hydro boost units and they are a mess.
The parts are not readily available but you can get them through GM.

Get a good rebuilt and swap it out.

Not what you wanted to hear but the truth is the best I can do.:)

xtrempickup
07-01-2007, 19:19
guess thats what i will be doing as the dealers are terribly slow, where i am is got a BIG Diesel area and i dont have a lot of money to spend like dealers love to charge. thanks.

DmaxMaverick
07-01-2007, 19:34
Robyn's right. They are a nightmare even for an experienced wrencher. The seals should not be replaced w/o a complete hardware, spring and valve kit. If it's original, or close to it, it is due. They don't last forever. Do it before it trashes the pump (no filter in the system). You can use the "other" model numbers, but modification will be required, and w/o a mill, it's near impossible. Master cylinders aren't too expensive, so if it is the same age, it ain't far behind. One of those "while I'm in there" things.

Try www.gmpartsdirect.com for the booster. Last I checked, they were about $120 less than the local dealer, for the exact same part. If you can't find it listed, send them an email for the part #. They will look it up per your VIN.

BTW: The RPO code in the glove box will not (reliably) tell you which booster you need. It only indicates you have hydroboost, per your truck model. I'm not sure where you got that notion, but I've gotten the wrong parts more often using the RPO codes than just guessing. Also, Cardone reman's are worse than keeping a leaky one full. Best to stick with the GM reman's. The boosters are Bendix, but many of the rebuild kits spent too much time on a boat.

Robyn
07-01-2007, 20:47
I have had a few parts store remans that were junk from the box and after fighting to get the little beast on the truck and have it not work tends to make me a tad unhappy to say the least :eek:

The older trucks were a real challenge to get the upper nuts off as they were lock nuts and hard to reach from the bottom up.

Good luck

xtrempickup
07-02-2007, 04:36
i ordered a remanufactured, gotta wait for it now. hopefully its not junk and when my friend works on it, he doesnt curse it up an down and it goes together fairly easy. i just need it fixed as its for sale, not doing it for hte hell of it and because i need to drive it til the 13th

Robyn
07-02-2007, 07:01
Good luck

Robyn