PDA

View Full Version : GM's New & Upcoming Duramax

More Power
07-03-2007, 09:37
Up to this point in time, the cast iron and forged-steel engine components have been made in Germany. Final machining occurs in Ohio. This is about to change for the 2010 model year.

The cylinder blocks will be cast and produced in Defiance, Ohio. Experimental engines are already running - which were produced in Defiance. The cylinder blocks appear quite a bit different than those used for the current Duramax 6600, in that there is extra internal webbing and they are painted red internally. Rumors are that the engine will be a 6.9L twin-turbo engine...

Fortunately, GM is continuing to use the 2+ year out testing program for any engine development work. Once these new engines arrive, they should be as good as the current engines we're seeing now. The LMM was in development for more than 3 years before any of them arrived at dealer lots.

Jim

Dakster
07-03-2007, 09:43
Good. Taking a 2+ development and testing is why GM doesn't have the Ford fiascos...

NutNbutGMC
07-03-2007, 17:36
Good. Taking a 2+ development and testing is why GM doesn't have the Ford fiascos...Right.... One acronym... ==> LB7.

Bliz
07-03-2007, 20:09
Ford has done testing for 4 years on the 6.0 diesel. They sold them to people like me and then just waited to see how they would hold up. My F-350 has 33,000 miles but 1000 of those miles were behind a wrecker in four states.

Dakster
07-04-2007, 05:06
I don't know if you saw it, but on CNN GM took huge losses in the number of cars and trucks sold. Over 20%...

All domestic manufacturers lost ground, with GM being the largest, and surprise, Toyota and Honda had a gains...

Although, Subaru and Kia sold fewer cars as well.

I can honestly say, there isn't a car the big three make that I really want as a family car. They still make some sports cars that are nice, although the Corvette is having its share of issues. IMHO, they are only competitive in the large truck segment and Nissan and Toyota are starting to eat away at it. If Nissan and Toyota make a competitive product (diesel would be a start) the next generation of truck buyers may sink the big three. Doesn't matter that anyone here wouldn't ever own one, it isn't US today that will make or break GM, it is the children of today... I know too many people that are die hard Ford, Chevy, or Chrysler fans, it wouldn't matter what their loyal brand made they would drive it over another brand. (this is the "I'd rather push a chevy than drive a Ford" group). Tomorrow, GM quits making diesels trucks and I need a truck, I am going to whoever still makes a Diesel.

I stand corrected, GM has made some lousy products over time, in retrospect I should have stated that GM is doing more testing to try and prevent another fiasco ala Ford.

Shed
07-04-2007, 06:03
Now you went and did it. I work with a few guys who have these "best truck in the world" Toyotas. Yes they are pretty and have some cool options like rear windows that go down. BUT!!!! They cannot haul my 5th wheel. And they will not stand up to the abuse that I put my 2500HD through on the farm! They of course disagree. I'm tired of their commercials too! Everytime we see one they start in. The box falling off the cliff is my favorite. Smoke and mirrors boys is all I tell them! They argue that I have souped up my HD and that is the only reason I can do more than they can! HA!! As long as it says Chevy or GMC I'll be driving it, and definatley with a Duramax/Allison combo powering it!

Sorry for the rant, I just can't stand to keep my mouth shut anymore! Just my opinions.... Not intended to hurt any small Toyota feelings! :D

Bliz
07-04-2007, 06:53
Speaking of the Toyota diesel, I am presently doing a job for a man who was a mechanical engineer from Connecticut. He just retired from a large company that makes parts for the auto industry. He still has regular contact with the other engineers he worked with and they told him about a diesel engine Toyota has been testing for production. They told him the engine is at least two years away from production but the proto-types already are being tested and they expect it to get 40 miles per gallon. That is all I know for particulars about it. I can't imagine what it will do to Ford & GM trucks sales when it finally debuts. But I agree, until they make a tough truck GM is where I will spend my money.

Inspector
07-04-2007, 10:02
Yeah but will haul a 4X8 trailer with a box of sox in it.
Denny

DieselMonk
07-04-2007, 12:27
Yeah but will haul a 4X8 trailer with a box of sox in it.
Denny

hahahahaha! :D

rob from bc canada
07-04-2007, 15:06
My brother up in Smithers (Northern BC) bought himself a new Tundara for his logging business a few years back.

It was in the shop a lot not because it broke down a lot, but because when it did it took forever to get parts.

They'd tell him that part never broke before, so they don't stock it. I think it was a front wheel control arm or something - not heavy enough for his kind of service.

He got rid of it after about a year, and is back to Chevs - just got a brand new 3500 SRW LMM.

Dakster
07-04-2007, 15:17
40 MPG and can HAUL what??? The wife's VW TDI is a great car, but I wouldn't think of towing with it. It would also make a lousy truck engine too. (it does get the 40mpg though!)

Obviously, I not a big foreign truck fan. Having owned only Fords, Dodges, and Chevy's.

Still remember, the heavy hauler isn't the only person keeping GM in business, GM needs to appeal to light users too. There are more light duty users than heavy haulers out there. In Miami, I see people driving Kodiaks and Topkicks as daily drivers with no load and I doubt they ever will. The put a pickup box on them off they go. I probably put more weight in my 3500 when I go to home depot than any of them see.