PDA

View Full Version : trans shift flairing

carco
07-03-2007, 18:46
Changed oil in trans, first time, a little late..... 41000 miles.., flushed atf through trans cooler line return untill a more robust red color appeared, was almost black!, refilled trans, changed filter for the second time and drove next day. Wow, medium accecleration in T/H mode caused the trans shifts to begin then flair out a period of time then to finally engage the next gear, definetly feels like slipping. Reminds you of Fords in years past w/ slow ultra soft shifts only much, much worse. Now shifts are better after about 90 miles, almost normal, but still not correct. Any thoughts? suggestions? I think run it untill it lays down. bob.........

DmaxMaverick
07-06-2007, 03:46
Sounds more like defueling and shift delay, and not a tranny problem. Changing power levels, or reseting the adaptive learn will exaggerate it. You can defeat it, but it's there to protect the tranny. Fix it at your own risk.

carco
07-06-2007, 05:01
DM, thanks and hope your right!! Different power levels made no diif. I sent trans into relearn not sure that accopmlished anything. I do know that level 3 version 1.1 posed no problem to the trans, but level 2 now ver 1.3 is @ least as strong as old level 3 maybe more so, sure pulls. Find out this weekend, unloaded 500 mile trip. bob........

carco
07-13-2007, 09:39
DM I think your correct, trans slipping. Now have 800+ miles and shifting is firmed up nicely after oil change and trans relearn. I also set the Attitude to monitor trans slip and set level 1, no slip full throttle. Set level 2 and trans will slip on Edge Version 1.3 with Boost Stick. Now the question is, is this normal for Edge level 2 w/ boost stick, or is trans maybe a little "soft"?? bob........

Inspector
07-13-2007, 14:41
I'll have to get DM to chirp in on this but, and I may be all wet, in my experience with edge juice with attitude, when in tow haul and towing my heavy fiver there is a space where the shift will not be locked. That is where I see a flair. As soon as the TC locks it is solid. The space is very short and is usually that first shift 1 to 2 till the TC locks. All other shifts are solid in tow haul as the TC is locked 2 thru 5. It seems to me that you could get flair if not in T/H through all the gears if you are getting on it hard because it takes a second for the T/C to lock after the shift. I believe that the T/C will unlock at the time of the next shift, flair, and lock again till the next shift when T/H is not selected and getting on it hard. Probably the only time that you would notice it. On the Attitude monitor you can select to see when the trans is locked. That is where I see the T/C lock up.
Am I right?

DmaxMaverick
07-13-2007, 16:06
I'll have to get DM to chirp in on this but, and I may be all wet, in my experience with edge juice with attitude, when in tow haul and towing my heavy fiver there is a space where the shift will not be locked. That is where I see a flair. As soon as the TC locks it is solid. The space is very short and is usually that first shift 1 to 2 till the TC locks. All other shifts are solid in tow haul as the TC is locked 2 thru 5. It seems to me that you could get flair if not in T/H through all the gears if you are getting on it hard because it takes a second for the T/C to lock after the shift. I believe that the T/C will unlock at the time of the next shift, flair, and lock again till the next shift when T/H is not selected and getting on it hard. Probably the only time that you would notice it. On the Attitude monitor you can select to see when the trans is locked. That is where I see the T/C lock up.
Am I right?

I won't put my hand on the Bible and swear to it, but you're correct. The unlocked TC will be seen as a slip, but it's ignored. A slip can be any of several conditions, including the main input/output, as in an open TC. The TCM will also echo the slippage between specific gears, more definitive with later models. The Attitude should be showing you the % of slip, but the duration is more important. If it's momentary, during a shift, it is normal. Higher power levels increase the duration of open TC, especially after a power level change or reset of the learn. The Allison will not (under normal conditions or using only the Attitude) allow a locked TC shift. so there will be a slippage indicated. The Attitude is passive with the TCM, only indicating the sensor output, with no input to TCM programming. It is capable of "hiding" certain sensor inputs from the TCM to the PCM. Be careful with this, as it can cause the PCM to pass up an oportunity for limp mode, and just let the tranny fry. The CoPilot or other custom TCM/valve programs will, if so programmed, keep the TC locked during a shift. At lower power levels or stock, the slippage is probably quicker than the Attitude will detect or indicate, but it is happening.

carco
07-13-2007, 16:09
Inspector, the shift flair/slip I noticed was quite severe, the 1-2 and 2-3 and somewhat 3-4 shift while in T/H, this was immediately after the reinstall of the updated Edge ver 1.3 and trans oil change. I then did a trans relearn and kept my foot out of it during a trip of 640 miles. Since then I monitor trans slip. Floored it in level 1 T/H no slip, floored in level 2 T/H yes slip but not as severe as right after trans flush/fill. Never had this problem before trans oil and on old Edge ver 1.1, even on level 3. I do run a boost stick. bob..............

Inspector
07-13-2007, 17:06
As DM said the attitude is just an indicator and reports what it sees for a given setting. I don't believe it will cause a severe slip. It doesn't make the news it only reports it.
How does the trans act with the Juice disconnected? Do you have the attitude set to defuel on all locked shifts? If it defuels you feel less or no slip as it will let the trans shift not unlike letting up on the gas a bit on a manual and slipping the stick into the next gear without using the clutch. Some flairing is not abnormal.
Denny

mark45678
07-13-2007, 19:19
With my other two duramax truck I ran juice , every time you change the power settings your causeing the trans to relearn how to hold it . So every time you run it stock and then bang the power up up to level 3 your causeing trans to slip..... set it and leave it on a reasonable power level . level 2 with a boost stick could be pushing close to 90+hp more then stock.

EdHale
07-14-2007, 06:09
Not having a programmer and no plans to get one, I can't help but note the mention in the above posts of "reseting the learn". What causes this other than a reprogram with a programmer? Is this something that happens occasionallly automatically? Just interested, but no plans for a programmer. This truck runs and pulls so awesome I don't see the need. Ed

carco
07-15-2007, 09:29
Trans is ok with Edge dicoonected or on levels 0 or 1. I need to chk about the possibility of defueling for slip, do not remember that as an option, but will chk.
A trans learn reset can be affected by reaching 50mph+ in top gear and pulling the shifter to gear position 1 and coasting to near a stop. The allison will not allow a downshift untill safe for trans and engine. bob..............
Thanks DM and Inspector

Tractorhauler
07-15-2007, 12:38
Is the trans relearn still the same as was described a few years ago. Drop in 1st going 60?