PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a couple of used Dmax's

jaoder
07-04-2007, 09:58
Hello folks,

I am looking at a couple of used Duramax trucks and wanted some options. The first is an 05 Ext 4WD LS with 21K miles locally owned I know who the guy is and know the truck was taken care of. The local dealer is asking 28K for it, it has the B&W goose neck hitch, slide in bed liner, aluminum wheels. It got PW, Cruise, AM/FM/CD the basic LS package cloth, trailer package, one thing is doesn't have is power driver seat which I though any more was standard.

The second one which I am leaning toward is an 06 CC/4WD/LS/AM-FM-CD-XM, LBZ, Goose neck hitch, new style towing mirrors, nerf bars but no bed liner which is ok I would rather put have a spray in type anyway. Its got some minor scatching in the bed area other wise in like new condition. This one only has 12,900 miles and was owned by the brother who had the one above. I guess they traded them both in a while back to get 0% and lower payments. The dealer is asking about 33K for and I think he would come down a little he's local and I know him for years plus I've bought a lot of car and trucks from him.

I have an 04.5 LLY CC dually which I really like, we pull drag cars with enclosed trailers. The truck I am looking to replace is an 02 Ext 4WD 6.0 with 168K on it. We pull a 24' enclosed tag with it and I am possibly looking at upgrading it to a 28' goose. The 02 is a good truck but the MPG isn't very good expecally over 60 and its a little low on power at interstate speeds.

The thing thats causing me grief is what I can buy a new one for, he has a 07 Ext, 4WD, LT3 w/leather, its pretty well loaded and he would sell me for 40K (46 sticker) cash deal and we'd just take my truck to the auction and get the best we could for it.

I just not sure I want to put out another 7K actually more by the time I add the running boards, spray in bed liner, roll up box cover and hitch for a second truck to pull my sons race car. Looking back on it I should have just bought a Dmax to begin with. I have had an really good luck with my 04 CC DRW truck it will get around 20-21 MPH unloaded on level ground around 62 MPH and I pull a 48' goose with LQ and on level ground with little or no wind it will get 8-10 pretty consistanly.

So what do you think? Any suggestions would be apprecated which one would be the best buy for the money? I know the about how the 05 would be with the LLY but I'm not to familar with the 06 with the LBZ and the 6 spd Allison.

Thanks,

John

Philsauto
07-06-2007, 07:01
Either of those trucks will serve you very well. Being the type of guy I am, I'd buy the 05 with 21k and save the 5 grand. That is nothing as far as miles is concerned, as you know. It might as well be brand new. Both motors have been excellent. Your other issues will boil down to preference. I love my leather interior, from the smell to the looks to the feel. But that can be had too, without spending 40k. If you spend the 28k, you have plenty of money left over to upgrade the interior if you so desire.