PDA

View Full Version : Not a stalling problem...

97-6.5TD-F
07-03-2007, 23:21
So is the PMD the FSD? I keep reading PMD and I dont know what the heck it is.

On my truck, it runs fine until you work it hard, ie throttling up from 60 to 80, then it will bog and only hit about 2500 rpms and turn the engine light on. Sound like the FSD? (PMD?). No stalling issues, though.

Also if heat is an issue for these can I just splice the harness and mount it on the firewall?

JohnC
07-05-2007, 08:44
So is the PMD the FSD? I keep reading PMD and I dont know what the heck it is.

Yes. PMD == Pump Mounted Driver. FSD == Fuel Solenoid Driver

On my truck, it runs fine until you work it hard, ie throttling up from 60 to 80, then it will bog and only hit about 2500 rpms and turn the engine light on. Sound like the FSD? (PMD?). No stalling issues, though.

No. Sounds like a boost problem. Check for stored codes.

Also if heat is an issue for these can I just splice the harness and mount it on the firewall?

Splicing depends on your skill level. Don't mount it anywhere without a big honking heat sink, otherwise it'll be out of the frying pan and into the fire.

a5150nut
07-05-2007, 11:00
Splicing depends on your skill level. Don't mount it anywhere without a big honking heat sink, otherwise it'll be out of the frying pan and into the fire.

And mount it where it is OUT of the heat. I have mine between left battery and radiator support. Added some additional ventilation to help. Another preferred place to mount is on the inside of the front skid plate.

Match size of wire, solder carefully, and use heat shrink to seal it all up.

97-6.5TD-F
07-05-2007, 17:12
Well it was the wastegate solenoid, so that was simple.

My other code in the system was P1216 fuel solenoid response time to short(or long? cant remeber). Does this translate into IP replacement?

That was weird how my post moved:confused:

a5150nut
07-05-2007, 19:54
That was weird how my post moved:confused:

It's those pesky moderators. They try to keep things on topic, neat and clean around here. But it would be a mess without them looking out for the rest of us. :D

gmctd
07-05-2007, 20:39
It's the Fuel Solenoid Driver when MrGoodwrench sells it to you - it becomes the Pump Mounted Driver when you attach it to the Inj Pump - it again becomes the Fuel Solenoid Driver when, after hiccuping and stalling events, you remove it from the IP and mount it on a heatsink, preferably out of the engine bay, leaving the short black wire securely attached to the top of the IP, no matter what you might read on other forums, where it might be called the Pump Driver Module :eek: .

P1216 can be air bubbles in the fuel supply caused by fuel pipe leaks, dirty sock (not yours - the one in the fuel tank), dirty fuel filter, failing lift pump or\and Oil Pressure Switch, or just running low on fuel, below 1/4 tank - can also be failing DS4 IP, but check the other stuff first.