PDA

View Full Version : How Much Blue Smoke Do U Get

phill0072
07-06-2007, 06:48
this one is for anyone who has to idle their truck for a extended time atleast six hours or more like I do

here's what I am getting after I idle for atleast 4 hours i get blue smoke for about 1 or 2 miles after sitting then it goes away not to return until I idle again, and I will not see any blue smoke if I idle for less then 4 hours I am guessing that it is puddling some where and when I start driving it starts burning it. I never will see any smoke at idle. I have talked to hot shot & drive a way guys and other expediters with the d-max they say they don't get it like I do and they idle as much as I do, maybe someone here has seen this I had one tech admit that I should not see that much smoke he said it is probley the turbo, luckly its under warrenty. please help I am a easy driver the worst thing I do is idle but I have to

p.s. I use about a quart of oil in 7500 miles I do use amsoil syn gm says it is normal to use this muck oil
2006 express with a lly -82547 miles

Philsauto
07-06-2007, 06:53
this one is for anyone who has to idle their truck for a extended time atleast six hours or more like I do

here's what I am getting after I idle for atleast 4 hours i get blue smoke for about 1 or 2 miles after sitting then it goes away not to return until I idle again, and I will not see any blue smoke if I idle for less then 4 hours I am guessing that it is puddling some where and when I start driving it starts burning it. I never will see any smoke at idle. I have talked to hot shot & drive a way guys and other expediters with the d-max they say they don't get it like I do and they idle as much as I do, maybe someone here has seen this I had one tech admit that I should not see that much smoke he said it is probley the turbo, luckly its under warrenty. please help I am a easy driver the worst thing I do is idle but I have to

p.s. I use about a quart of oil in 7500 miles I do use amsoil syn gm says it is normal to use this muck oil
2006 express with a lly -82547 miles

If you are using only one quart in 7500 miles, your smoke is fuel, not oil. That little amount of oil makes no smoke at all.

You obviously are running lots of miles on your truck and you say you have to idle that much but don't explain why. I'd sure look for some way to shut the thing down. Are you running an air conditioner? How about an auxiliary generator to provide power for the AC? I know the tool trucks that come into our shop tend to leave their engines idling, but some of them have put generator on board to power their roof AC units. I'm sure this is a better option than using the engine, as I don't think extended idle is good for any engines.

phill0072
07-06-2007, 07:43
I have to idle for a/c I live in this van just just like a truck driver lives in his truck I do the same job he does just on a smaller scale and faster I might add. The reason I can't put a roof top a/c and generator on is because of the extra weight the gvw is 9600 pounds and I have to be able to haul atleast 2200 lbs legally, van weighs 7200 lbs with me and a full tank of fuel and my required equipment in the van, every one in my line of work idles there vans gas and diesel many hours a year I had a powerstroke before this van and had 650,000 miles on it and probley had 5000+ hours of idle time on it with only 2 egr valves needing to be replaced in 5 years of service. When I saw the blue smoke I just figured it was oil I thought fuel burned white or black maybe thats why a tech said it is the turbo thanks for the reply I will be taking the van in at 90,000 miles which will be the end of this month what else in the fuel system will do the blue smoke thing after idling all reply's are welcome and helpful on course

Dakster
07-06-2007, 13:09
Do you have an elevated idle control switch on the van? Something that will raise the idle a little. By no means am I an expert, but it sounds like you might be wetstacking...

Also, THINK VERY CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU BUY A NEW GENERATION DIESEL VAN/TRUCK, if you idle that much you will surely plug the DPF and have numerous trips to the dealer for cleaning. I haven't got the dreaded "clean dpf" message on the DIC, but I remember someone here who works in construction did and he said he wasn't idling that much.

I know the Ford will Regen at idle, GM's won't start a regen at idle or shoot flames out (that I know of), not sure about the Dodges, but I bet on all of them it is not a good idea for extended idles.

Duramaster
07-06-2007, 19:55
There is a bulletin for the smoke at idle (extended idle). The smoke is more or less a normal condition caused by the catalytic converter loading up with, well here....... read it for your self........... straight from the GENERAL himself. :) :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Subject: Diesel Engine Extended Idle Smoking - keywords 6.6 black blue excessive fuel injector LBZ LLY smoke soot white #PIP3722A - (02/28/2007)

Models: 2006-2007 Chevrolet Express, Kodiak, Silverado

2006-2007 GMC Savana, Sierra, TopKick

Equipped With a 6.6L LBZ or LLY Diesel Engine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI Superceded To Include Current Model Year. Please discard PIP3722.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
A dealer may encounter a customer concern of excessive smoke after a extended idle time. Extended idle time is a idle time of more than 20 to 30 minutes. After extended idling, a light blue smoke may be noticed from the tailpipe. The smoke may be seen during the idle period, or on acceleration after the idle period.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Complete the current SI diagnostics for Excessive Smoke (Gray or Blue), or any trouble codes found.

If normal diagnostics are inconclusive, compare the amount of smoke to a like vehicle after a extended idle. The catalytic converter will collect exhaust particulates during extended idle periods. When the catalytic converter heats up, the particulates are cleared, and may be seen as a light blue smoke.

If the smoke is comparable to a like vehicle, there are no other objectionable driveability symptoms, and the vehicle symptoms are as described in this PI, the extended idle smoke should be considered a characteristic of the vehicle.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

:) :D :) :D :) :D

Duramaster
07-06-2007, 21:08
Here is something else to consider when thinking about oil consumption.......

Subject: Information on Higher Than Expected Oil Consumption #02-06-01-027A - (05/17/2005)

Models: 2001-2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500-3500 Series Models

2006 Chevrolet Express 2500-3500 Series Models

2001-2006 GMC Sierra 2500-3500 Series Models

2006 GMC Savana 2500-3500 Series Models

2003-2006 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500-C5500 Series Models

2003-2006 GMC Topkick C4500-C5500 Series Models

with 6.6L Duramax

phill0072
07-07-2007, 06:07
thanks for the input I see atleast one way to get rid of the smoke after I get to 100k looks like I need to do some exhaust mods, already plan to block the egr off to keep that soot from destroying the valve itself. I know if I keep idling which I will it will clogg up sooner then later. Next ? I do have a high idle switch but it is set at like 1300 rpm way to high, where do ya'll thank I should have it turned down to I was thinking 900-950 rpm thats where dodge says to keep the sprinter vans at "they got bad egr problems" with the older ones that is. I do alot of highway driving "10,000 miles a month" so it does get the system cleaned out a little

hapaschold
07-08-2007, 16:18
I have to idle for a/c I live in this van just just like a truck driver lives in his truck I do the same job he does just on a smaller scale and faster I might add. The reason I can't put a roof top a/c and generator on is because of the extra weight the gvw is 9600 pounds and I have to be able to haul atleast 2200 lbs legally, van weighs 7200 lbs with me and a full tank of fuel and my required equipment in the van, every one in my line of work idles there vans gas and diesel many hours a year I had a powerstroke before this van and had 650,000 miles on it and probley had 5000+ hours of idle time on it with only 2 egr valves needing to be replaced in 5 years of service. When I saw the blue smoke I just figured it was oil I thought fuel burned white or black maybe thats why a tech said it is the turbo thanks for the reply I will be taking the van in at 90,000 miles which will be the end of this month what else in the fuel system will do the blue smoke thing after idling all reply's are welcome and helpful on course

what year ford van/powerstroke did u have ? wow, 650k !

phill0072
07-09-2007, 13:39
it was a 2000 e350 ext van with a 7.3 powerstroke, all it needed was 2 egr valves, 1 transmission rebuild, 2 alt. 1 a/c compressor, also a radiator & condensor because I hit a deer in wv at 377k. and of course maintainence stuff like 4 sets of tires 3 sets of brakes and 4 sep belts and some light bulbs I took care of the van and it took care of me. oil changed every 10k, trans & rear changed every 60k, air and fuel filters every 30k, and coolant, power steering, and brake system flushed every 100k

hapaschold
07-09-2007, 18:22
egr s ? i m no expert of the 7.3 s nor the 6.0 power strokes, but perhaps u mean ebv or something like that??

my 04 psd ford van had and egr and was nothing but problems from day one.
my 96, 99, 01 7.3 psd s were all good, just minor stuff, but never kept them long enough to find out !

phill0072
07-10-2007, 00:35
yea thats probley what they are, they got clogged with carbon and the valve on it would not work, truck would idle up and down and sometimes it would stall