PDA

View Full Version : Mass airflow sensor

ercaduceus
07-07-2007, 01:38
Pardon my stupidity. I was wandering if I can delete my mass airflow sensor. I have a 1998 L56. I and going to be replacing my intake to a non EGR intake (going to block off the solenoid). I figured while I'm at it why not the MAFS. From the looks of it, I'm not sure how air gets though it. If not now, would it be possible to replace my ECU (planning to upgrade anyway) to a L65 ECU to make it work? Is this worth it?

Thanks in advance,

gmctd
07-07-2007, 08:04
Good question 'duce.........

B4 you do anything to the emissions systems, check with your state's DOT\DMV EPA compliance regulations, of which certain oem hardware requirements are necessary to get your state inspection sticker - gonna be tough in '08, most places homeland.

ercaduceus
07-08-2007, 11:27
In PA we don't have emissions on diesels this old. Only the new ones. Not even a visual. I plan on keeping my old parts just in case this changes but this is very unlikely. PA doesn't do anything quickly. Heck they just started doing emissions on 96 and newer gas passenger vehicles a few years ago. Besides my mechanic is my best friend;)

DennisG01
07-10-2007, 15:26
Actually, I think you want to check for emissions on a county basis, not state wide. In 1992 I was at the Allentown location of Penn State and we had emmisions testing here. In the fall of '92 I moved to the main campus in State College and started working at a Firestone - there were no emmisions testing there.

ercaduceus
07-17-2007, 23:25
Emissions in PA used to be dependant on what county you live in. I.E. in the 1990s Lancaster County had no emissions at all while Chester County had very strict (for the time) emissions. The state decided to start regulating emissions along with inspections and standardize the rules across the state. Beginning Dec 1, 2003 all gas vehicles 1975 and newer must pass a visual inspection and gas cap test. 1996 and newer must also pass OBD test. Vehiles Exempt are Street rods, collectables and motocycles. Diesels built ofter May 11, 2004 must also pass visual and gas cap test. There are no rules for older diesel emissions. It isn't that they are exempt. According to Penndot they just don't exist. There isn't even an exeption sticker. In reality there probably isn't enough older diesels under GVW 9,000lbs to make it worth it.

sparkylisle
09-15-2007, 06:16
Emissions in PA used to be dependant on what county you live in.

Good advice about checking with the county or the local area, in the last 2 cities I have lived in - Memphis, TN and Denver, Co -both cities had emissions testing and the rest of the state did not.

Turbine Doc
09-24-2007, 13:48
Pardon my stupidity. I was wandering if I can delete my mass airflow sensor. I have a 1998 L56. I and going to be replacing my intake to a non EGR intake (going to block off the solenoid). I figured while I'm at it why not the MAFS. From the looks of it, I'm not sure how air gets though it. If not now, would it be possible to replace my ECU (planning to upgrade anyway) to a L65 ECU to make it work? Is this worth it?

Thanks in advance,

Yes L65 PCM will work in a L56 and only way you can do it in a 98 & not code when bypassing EGR stuff, I ran that way for a while until a decent reflash came on the market. You will get slightly improved fuel delivery with a F PCM 63mm vs 56 max fuel, I put a piece of 3" PVC in place of my MAF when I ran that way; also for long term you will want to find a complete F intake sysem so you can block off the EGR ports, S intake will still be flowing EGR gasses