PDA

View Full Version : VAC PUMP replacement assistance

JFerg65
07-07-2007, 11:14
I made it back from my 220 mile road trip vacation with the vac pump not working. Decent power, no smoke, no codes. Ran it around 64 MPH the entire way, about 2100-2200 rpm. Not hauling anything in tow. I have run the vac tests at the turbo and at the pump. less than 5, more like 1 at idle.

Any suggestions on vac pump replacements? I can get a NAPA rebuild for 150.00. I'd really like a new unit to install. Any suggetions/ Also what about changing out the pully while I'm at it? I saw at SS diesel this is recommended.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robyn
07-07-2007, 14:46
I have used the NAPA rebuilt and its OK
Pulled the pulley off the old one with the tools and pressed it back onto the new one. :D :D

Robyn

JFerg65
07-07-2007, 16:58
That seems like the most economical way to go. I play the wait and see game once I get the pully off to see what kind of shape it is in. Any ideas as to why they recomeend changing that out when the pump is replaced?

rameye
07-08-2007, 05:40
I used a pulller to get my pully off and torqued it...

Straightened the best i could...ran like a soap box derby wobbly tire!

Had to order pulley, pull off old ..reinstall etc. Woulda been much better if I got the pulley in the first place.

Bottom line...the vac pump pulley is easy to torque and twist....be very careful ..or just get the complete unit and save much aggravation!!

JFerg65
07-08-2007, 16:25
Thanks!!

After hearing that it confirms what I wanted to do.... but trying to do things on the cheap was headed in the other direction. No longer! I am going to bite the bullet and replace the entire unit. I am not a big fan of having to tear into things a second or third time.... however.... I seem to do it quite a bit.

Here is the next question. Do I buy the unit and the pulley separate and save a few bucks.... or do I just throw all in and pay the 200 and some odd dollars for the unit that has the pulley already pressed on?

Thanks!!!

tommac95
07-08-2007, 18:29
J Ferg--
Checkout the price/availability of such items from the TDP advertisers. I've had good luck with Gomers/USDieselParts, and KennedyDiesel, among others...

Carefully inspect the plastic tubes from the vac pump to the solenoids , and the turbo. They often chafe through.

rameye
07-11-2007, 15:25
whatever is best economically...I have an autozone vac pump with a SS diesel pulley....

putting the pully on is a no brainer...line up the new pump with the old and set the placement on the shaft based on the old pump...

voila!!

gmenor
07-11-2007, 15:59
I've replaced two vacuum pumps in three years from pumps I purchased at Autozone (thank God for their lifetime warranty). Finally went to the dealership and got one from them - paid their price. Haven't had to replace the OEM vacuum pump in the last 3 1/5 years. I did the math of time and aggravation verses money. As for stock parts (unless a vender has something better or new - that has be tested) I will most likely go OEM. Just my 2 cents

Kennedy
07-11-2007, 20:26
I only recommend the GM units. We even offer with a new pulley installed to save the aggravation of pulley R&R.

JFerg65
07-12-2007, 14:49
Thanks everybody for all the help. I got one from SS Diesel with a new pulley. Getting the old unit off was a snap. Installing the new one was also after getting the first bolt installed!!

It is evident that my vacuum pump has not worked since the day I purchased it, back in May!!! Because once I got the new one on.... what a difference.

Well now it's on to planning the next project.

Thanks again.