PDA

View Full Version : stock stall speed on 6.2 fitted with auto transmission

Tiny4x4
07-08-2007, 03:50
Hi,

I am looking to fit a T400 auto to my 6.2N\A

can anyone tell me what stall RPM was common on autos fitted to this engine, or any sugestion as to what stall rpm would be best to gain the most out of the engine for slow 4wd use

Thanks in advance

Tiny

More Power
07-08-2007, 12:51
In general, the torque converter stall speed should be below the engine's torque peak. I've not see the factory specs, but I'd likely want one at 1500-1700 at the most.

Custom converter manufacturers offer converters having just about any reasonable stall speed. Most people just trust the vendors when ordering a "diesel" TC.

Jim

gmctd
07-08-2007, 17:55
The Diesel used the same TC as the 454 - it is the D4, with lowest stall of the GM TC's

Also used on the BOP 455 and Caddy 512 series

The line pressure spring is the same for those, with different governor calibration for the Diesel, which needs to upshift sooner - the pressure spring is the same as used in all the aftermarket shift kits

The TC for the 350cuin engines will have higher stall if used behind the Diesel because of it's greater torque at low rpm

Could have a TC shop build you a D6, using the Dodge\Cummins TC - the GM and Dodge TC is made by the same oem, so only slight modification is needed