PDA

View Full Version : expansion tank cap

matuva
07-08-2007, 17:22
Hi all,

while doing some job on my truck this week end, I remarked that coolant level was a bit lowin the expansion tank. Coolant bottle in one hand, I tried with the other to open the cap, then with the 2 hands, then I tried again with 2 hands in gloves and I finally stop thinking that trying to open it with a plumber wrench is not such a good idea.

Any of you know how to open this "@&$

a5150nut
07-08-2007, 18:45
Cap will turn part way then you have to push down hard on the cap to clear the stops and twist it the rest of the way. And mine takes two hands and a little extra effort too.:D

matuva
07-08-2007, 19:01
Cap will turn part way then you have to push down hard on the cap to clear the stops and twist it the rest of the way. And mine takes two hands and a little extra effort too.:D

you push very hard? I tried pushing it down, it does turn almost gentle and arrows align with hose as requested on cap, but then, impossible to open it.

I did successfully a month ago, don't understand why it doen't agree with opening now.:mad:

Robyn
07-08-2007, 21:44
The one on our 94 Burb got to being honery and the next thing happening was a new tank as the cap and the fill neck came off in pieces. :eek:

They can corode and the brass neck piece goes south.

Might be an idea to be ordering a fresh one up and have on hand..

matuva
07-09-2007, 00:06
Might be an idea to be ordering a fresh one up and have on hand..

Agree 100%, but unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any in webstores. The other difficulty is to find a seller who ships outside US... :(