PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Mileage: 16" vs. 17" wheels...

ccole
07-09-2007, 15:43
Hello All-
I am looking trading up my 2006 Dmax and ordering a new one. Just curious what kind of fuel mileage gains/loss you may of experienced with 17" versus 16" wheels. (Personally, I like the looks 17" wheels better than my current 16") Thanks in advance for any input!

mark45678
07-10-2007, 07:16
well since my 2001 truck none of the newer trucks have got better fuel mileage. The LB7 trucks in my opinion would get around 17~18 mpg , the lly trucks would do 16~17 mpg and my new lbz is lucky to get 16 mpg with the new fuels..... I dont expect any fuel economy gains until they make the motor smaller or less horse power.

DmaxMaverick
07-10-2007, 11:45
Any mileage gains/losses should not have much to do with the wheel size. The tire design may. The outside tire diameter will be the same, regardless of the wheel size, when it comes to OEM sizes.

Dakster
07-10-2007, 14:48
Dmax,

I wonder if the weight is different and by how much. I know if you go up several rim sizes (and keep the same outside diameter) that their is a weight difference. Whether this makes a fuel economy issue or not I have no idea. I know that it can make a braking difference.

DmaxMaverick
07-10-2007, 15:22
More/less weight will effect rotational mass, which in turn can effect mileage. My guess is not enough to measure, though. Wheel weight varies as much as tire weight, from brand to brand. A lighter wheel with a heavier tire would likely be the same trade as the opposite.

Now, even though there may not be a mileage difference with heavier tires/wheels, unsprung weight will likely have an effect on ride quality. OEM shocks don't give you much to work with in this department.