PDA

View Full Version : Help with exhaust

poppa
07-10-2007, 13:46
Alright, I am a newbie when it comes to automotive diesels.

I just purchased a 96 chevy 6.5, 3500 with only 97k miles to pull a 31 foot Keystone Cougar.

I want to put a little polish on the old girl up some. From what I have read herein a new crossover and exhaust is the first step. Does this beast have a cat convertor and do you delete it.

So guys where do I start and where are the most reasonable sources.

Oh this coming summer I will be towing out West in the mountains.

Any help would be appreciated:D

Hubert
07-10-2007, 15:16
Clipped....

Oh this coming summer I will be towing out West in the mountains.

Any help would be appreciated:D

I love my truck and its a fairly economical daily driver and light duty work truck hauling trash, tools, toys etc, and ocasional slow tows of 14K gross locally.

But you may want to consider another diesel before you get in too deep. What kind of weight are you going to total up as and your expectations (cruise control A/C speeds up grades). It can take some blood, sweat, and tears to make the 6.5 tow like it really should and its already 11 years old. It might need some maintenance before mods. Diesels last a long time but require $$$ maintenance after 120K miles to perform like they should.

You need exhaust AND guages (~$800-1500 depending) first then more mods depending on your satisfaction. As far as sources any of the supporting vendors are highly recommended and have great tech support for the 6.5. You can get lucky on ebay for somethings but buyer beware and its safer once you get a little specific experience on the 6.5 under your belt. Supporting vendors are a better bet until then. Beware of anyone promising significant HP gains with a few bolt on mods. It takes a systematic approach and keeping all systems healthy to build reliable power with the 6.5.

Best thing to do is read read read the forum a while before diving in so you know what is normal.

poppa
07-12-2007, 07:30
Guess what I was asking and wasn't clear on is "Would a 3 1/2" or 4" exhaust help and would changing the crossover be an additionad help?:confused:

damork
07-12-2007, 08:27
I went from stock to 3.5" & it was helpful with lower backpressure, lower exhaust temps, & noticable off the line throttle response improvement, but no mpg improvement. Dyno tests show improvements with 3.5" but jumping to 4" is marginal.

poppa
07-12-2007, 09:51
What about the cross over is it worth the change

moondoggie
07-12-2007, 10:17
Good Day!

Most of the gains you'll get will happen if you go with a quality 3" turbo outlet, then 3 1/2" all the way back. (Kennedy & others sell these.) Consensus seems to be that 4" is cool looking, but overkill.

I can't remember ever reading about improvements coming from changing the crossover pipe. Some folks go with ceramic-coated (or?) if they're gonna replace it anyway. Hopefully experts will chime in; mostly I just parrot what I've read over the years.

Blessings!

lfytsmith
07-21-2007, 07:43
TDP has helped me get my truck modified to haul. You haven't added your truck info to your signature yet so we can see what your truck,engine and miles are. My first change before exhaust even would be moving the PMD/FSD to a cooler place. The previous owner of my 94' changed the IP and PMD twice at a cost of $2500 each time. He sold me the truck right after the 2nd and the first thing I did was move the PMD.
Next would be the Air In/Air Out mod. New after market air filter and new down pipe and exhaust (minus the cat).
Your truck is a 96' and I would guess has the smaller waterpump. Keeping your water temp down pulling in the mountains with the stock setup will be tough. I would spend the money on a 97' pump and dual stat setup.
Get gauges. Know what you are doing to your truck. Before my power mods this year I would have to back off the trottle up hills to keep my EGT below 1250 F. Reading the posts on the website has been very helpfull and knowledge gaining for me. Keep your temps down and keep your truck running.
Finally you are closing in the the recommended 100K mile change time for Injectors. Mine had 155K on them and changing them out made quite the change in performance and EGT. My camper is 25' 6,000lb and last week hauling to southern Indiana I put her in cruise control at 70 MPH and she didn't miss a beat. H2O never climbed above 205F, with A/C, EGT never above 900F (pre turbo), and I averaged between 11 and 12 MPG.
Thanks to all the post responders on TDP for inputs, It really does make a difference.

poppa
07-24-2007, 14:18
What in the world is a PMD/FSD??????????????????????:confused:

sturgeon-phish
07-24-2007, 16:30
FSD fuel solenoid driver PMD pump mounted driver both names are for the same item. The original concept was to have the fuel going through the injector pump cool the electronics in the module, bad idea. GM subsequently extended the warranty to CYA.

Agree with above, 3.5 exhaust, get rid of the cat, GET GAUGES, and upgrade your air filter with a box from 97 or later and the water pump from a '97 or later (my next mod if I can quit buying toy train stuff). Crossover gains marginal for cost, unless it needs replaced.

Read and search past posts for the most cost effective mods.
Jim

Robyn
07-24-2007, 19:33
My Dahooooley has the Banks stinger system which is 3-1/2" and is minus the CAT ^^.
The exahsut note is lovely and the power and turbo spoolup is great.

The PMD should be remounted in a cool spot with a remount kit.
Get an extension cable off ebay or one of the fine vendors here. 6ft
The little cover pan down front under the radiator is a nice place on the inside to mount the unit.

Start with a fresh PMD on the cooler.

The addition of a nice remote fuel filter/water seperator is a good idea too

Good luck with the new rig.

Gotta love em

poppa
07-25-2007, 08:47
Looked at the Banks system, kinda pricy for a retired income.

Trying to find the Kennedy 3.5 exhaust and the relocate kit for the PMD but must be looking in all the wrong places. Can someone give me the web site to go to?

Greatly appreciate, God bless and have a wonderful day

moondoggie
07-25-2007, 09:21
Good Day!

Click on "Advertiser's Section".

Blessings!