PDA

View Full Version : Great oil for your 6.5L at a great price!

Tough Guy
12-09-2004, 14:11
I have been using Rotella T Synthetic 5/40 for about a year now and really like it. I was using Mobil Delvac 1 but it is a little too pricey for my taste. Rotella can be found at Wal-Mart for $12.84 per gallon.

Cheers

[ 12-09-2004, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Tough Guy ]

Marty Lau
12-09-2004, 15:28
Originally posted by Tough Guy:
I have been using Rotella T Synthetic 5/40 for about a year now and really like it. I was using Mobil Delvac 1 but it is a little too pricey for my taste. Rotella can be found at Wal-Mart for $12.84 per gallon.

Cheers YUPP YUPP Chris I have been using it for awhile this is the second winter and I love the stuff. Stays thin at low temps, oil pressure comes right up at low temp. I swapped EVERYTHING I own over to it from 6.5TD to Town Car to lawn mores and water pumps. I only need one oil for 5 vehicals, tractor, and outdoor power equipment. The biggest problem I have had is when I go to Wally World cometimes it's OUT!!! I try and keep a 8-12 gallons on hand tho. ;)

MTTwister
12-09-2004, 17:45
Jeez 16ga - no wonder their out - you just bought their whole shipment / allotment.

Hey - Merry Christmas! Still waiting for real winter down here..

grape
12-09-2004, 19:48
I run that oil in my gasoline cars. so for my 5 quart mustang I bought a $12 gallon jug and a $1 quart container of the same oil..........didn't figure it out till I got home. Now they don't carry the quart containers anymore :confused:

Marty Lau
12-10-2004, 13:24
Originally posted by grape:
I run that oil in my gasoline cars. so for my 5 quart mustang I bought a $12 gallon jug and a $1 quart container of the same oil..........didn't figure it out till I got home. Now they don't carry the quart containers anymore :confused: I noticed that too the quarts are handy to keep in trunk of wifes cars, and Town Car, my truck I car a gallon jug I work off. I try and save the quarts for "on the road" additions.

Billy V
12-10-2004, 17:41
I've been using that oil for years now. Its good stuff and you can't beat the Walmart price.

The oil is also approved for motorcycles because of the zinc content. I have been running it in a Hayabusa and FZ1 with no problems. It does not have the friction modifiers that cause wet clutches to slip.

johnny2can
12-11-2004, 06:12
Quick question... do any of you "extend" your drain interval with the synthetic? I've been considering moving to Amsoil with periodic oil tests 'cuz I like the idea of changing only once a year...

Bring on the replies... ;)

Tough Guy
12-11-2004, 12:32
Its possible to extend drain intervals with the 6.5L IF you add a secondary filtration system. I run mine for 3000 miles and dump it because its black. I primarily use the Synthetic because of its high/low temp properties and lubricity....

Cheers,

The "boy" TG... ;)

dslpwr
12-11-2004, 15:32
I can run rotella non synthetic for 4500 max by taking oil samples.

I am going to try amsoil next oil change. greg has good price on amsoil. walmart stop selling rotella where i live.

332bill
12-11-2004, 20:09
I have been using the Rotella synthetic for a while too. I ran the last batch for 4500 miles and had it tested by Blackstone Labs (used a Purolator Pure-one filter). They said the oil looked good and clean and I could go at least another 1000 miles if I wanted. I don't put a lot of miles on my truck so I just change it at 6 month intervals, which is usually about 4000 miles. I also use the synthetic in my John Deere diesel

BTW, Farm & Fleet around here sells the synthetic rotella in 30 gallon drums.

Bill

johnny2can
12-11-2004, 21:03
Originally posted by Tough Guy:
Its possible to extend drain intervals with the 6.5L IF you add a secondary filtration system.Ah, thanks TG... forgot to mention I was planning to add the secondary filter when I switched to Amsoil (maybe Rotella now ;) )

Tough Guy
12-12-2004, 10:05
This is what the bottles looks like for those that haven't seen it, Just click on the links:

Rotella Sythetic.... (http://www.thedieselpage.com/images/rotellatsyn1.jpg)

And theres more:
More Rotella T Sythetic... (http://www.thedieselpage.com/images/rotellatsyn2.jpg)

Cheers,

The "Boy" TG ;)