PDA

View Full Version : Dodge or a ps intercooler..??

j_k_auto
07-11-2007, 07:53
I am thinking about a intercooler from both trucks. If I am right from what I read either one will fit. I was just wondering which one will perform better once installed. I think the doge will do a better job and I think from the looks it will fit ok. I also figured it would be a good time to do it because everything is out. I am looking for the biggest ic I can get in there and then figure about the rad issue a little later. I am also searching for the 07 truck intercooler dementions.

Thanks Joe

More Power
07-11-2007, 15:22
I'd suggest holding off for a little while before making a decision. We'll have a DIY IC article on the web site before long (hopefully next month) showing how to put together your own kit, and Peninsular Diesel is nearly ready to announce their commercial 6.5 intercooler kit - that is a lot less expensive than what's currently available. :)

Jim

j_k_auto
07-12-2007, 03:34
I'd suggest holding off for a little while before making a decision. We'll have a DIY IC article on the web site before long (hopefully next month) showing how to put together your own kit, and Peninsular Diesel is nearly ready to announce their commercial 6.5 intercooler kit - that is a lot less expensive than what's currently available. :)

Jim

Do you know if it will be located in front of the radiator?

Robyn
07-12-2007, 07:35
This sounds interesting.

I have a charge cooler in mind for my dually and planned on mounting it out front of the grill on either a winch bumper as part of the whole scheme of things or as part of a little brush guard unit.

There really is no room in the grill area around the radiator. Mine is stuffed full of coolers for the tranny, engine oil and power steering/hydroboost system. (factory stuff too)

The spot under the rig where the front cover pan normally goes does not apeal to me much as I do take my rigs into the bush from time to time and or get into stuff that could damage the cooler if it were mounted under the front. :eek:
It will be interesting to see what the folks over at peninsular offer as its always easier at times to let someone else do the designing.

Charge cooling is definately a good thing :D

Robyn

More Power
07-12-2007, 09:54
From my perspective and for a 6.5 IC kit to be commercially viable, it has to go below the bumper. Putting it behind the grille means modifying the A/C condenser or radiator core support. These mods are certainly doable (i.e. Lil Red), but the typical owner would balk at the idea - so it's not commercially viable.

I don't know where Pen's IC goes, but it's likely below the bumper.

As Robyn mentioned, those who off-road are not the best candidates for a below the bumper IC installation. Water/meth injection might be a reasonable alternative.

Jim

Robyn
07-12-2007, 16:07
One of those kewl looking bumper brush guards an be reworked easily to allow the cooler to sit in front of the grill area and still look good with a bezel of sorts around it and the plumbing run under the front and up into the engine bay.

The whole thing is to protect the cooler and keep from having to butcher the truck all to pieces to get it in.

If the cooler is mounted nicely most folks would not even know that your brush buster up front was anything other than just that.

Just a thought.

Robyn

bl78ljb
07-13-2007, 10:53
I had thought about getting a bumper from buckstop truckware www.buckstop.biz and having the 4 light holes in it and leaving lights out of the two in the middle and directing that airflow as well as the cooling holes next to the winch mount to an IC, however with the $$ of all that it might be a while before I get to it, so I am interested in seeing the option Penninsular has for an IC.

Shikaroka
07-13-2007, 11:01
I had thought about getting a bumper from buckstop truckware www.buckstop.biz

Holy geez! That's a lot of money!

I am interested in any new IC products, but I too am not crazy about mounting one below the bumper. I'd be pretty upset if I put a rock or stick through my expensive hunk of aluminum!

GMC Hauler
07-13-2007, 13:51
I'd suggest holding off for a little while before making a decision. We'll have a DIY IC article on the web site before long (hopefully next month) showing how to put together your own kit...

What a bummer.... I wish you had that article out before I had put mine together:(

TAG
07-13-2007, 17:09
Ive had mine under the bumper for a year & i hunt , fish, offroad, pull trailers & i have not one mark on the intercooler. I figured the way they are built ill take a chance. Thing only cost 130.00 if i wreck it ill buy onother one, it would take 1/2 hour to change it.

bl78ljb
07-13-2007, 17:29
Where did you get an intercooler for $130, I've mostly seen them for 10x that price!?!

KallyI
07-13-2007, 18:36
Where did you get an intercooler for $130, I've mostly seen them for 10x that price!?!
I got mine off eBay. Even with shipping to Canada, it was under $200.00 $U.S.. That did not include piping, couplers, or hose clamps; but it was well under 500.00 total.

TAG
07-14-2007, 08:38
mine came from e-bay as well. Seems to be a very well built unit. I dont remember the name of the place but there were a ton of write ups about this last sept - oct, many with pictures & parts lists. I used aluminized 2.5 in exhaust tubing on mine. I bought a 3 foot stick of 2.5 in silicone hose from napa to make the straight couplers & got the reducer fittings & clamps from e-bay. The exhaust tubing doesnt even have any surface rust on it after nearly a year in michigan eviroment. It has been totally maintenance free & works well.

j_k_auto
07-14-2007, 16:50
I wonder does anyone know if there is a web site out there that sells oem intercoolers? I am tring to find some measurments.

Shikaroka
07-14-2007, 18:01
I've still have that OEM Dodge (Cummins) intercooler. If you want the measurements from it, just let me know.

john8662
07-14-2007, 19:09
Here is mine, testing has proven that this setup works!

I have an intake mounted AIT probe with a digital gauge mounted in the cab floor in a pod (pretty cool), that showed me that the Intake Temps were between 98-125 degrees.

Not bad at all!

I DID NOT cut any chassis component, bumber, or inner fender for this install. Heck, I didn't drill any holes either, made all the brackets out simple angle iron and strap.

Brackets were used to brace the tubing in and out of the engine compartment.

I routed all the tubing in a creative and flow-productive manner. The only thing that would be required is trimming the rubber/felt inner fender splash guards, or just remove them.

Below is a frontal view of the IC setup, looks good too (even) and I lost NO ground clearance as compared to the lower suspension, actually 1/8" more (I measured just for grins). The tubes in the inner fender have more than 4" of clearance with the wheel cocked towards the tubing, with 245 stock rubber that is.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/505/medium/Suburban_Front_IC_View.jpg

Hmm, maybe I should prepare a kit and jump on this sellers wagon just like everyone else.

J

j_k_auto
07-14-2007, 22:12
thanks john for the long post.

Also thanks to everyone else that posted here also. Ok lets start here and maybe I can go from here. what cfm am I looking at? Maybe I am just missing something here after doing some more reserch. I do see alot of ic on ebay and they are 27 x 12x 3 and support 400-600 hp. So I guess I might add this into the equation of posible interests but I do not want it to be down below the bumper.

I took my lower fan shroud off, bumber inner plastic shielding,and heath isolator kit. All I have left is the bumber and ac there. I wonder from what I am reading ( cfm,size difference,ect..) Why are the diesels ic so much bigger then the ones on ebay? maybe it is the cfm issue...:( I am down to 2 options right now as I can see. Either stuff it in the bumber right behind the 2 big holes or put it at the rad.

Robyn
07-15-2007, 08:18
Actually THERE IS another good option.
I realize that you want a stock look about the truck but there simply is not enough room anywhere to stuff a cooler other than the way John is showing it.
The down side there is the exposure to debris and such from the road unless you shield it well and this may really hamper it effectiveness.

Consider the bumper/brush guard units and incorporate the IC into it.

This is what I have in the works for my dually.

The IC needs to be as big as you can fit, within reason.

The 6.5 will probably flow around 1000 to 1200 CFM when running wide loose.

The thing about these engines is that they dont "normally" run over 3500 RPM.

You want to keep the flow restriction to a minimum though to avoid excess pressure drop across the IC.

If you scare up a unit that will handle a small block V8 handily it should do fine for the 6.5. The V8 gasser can run up into the moderate to very high RPM range and while there can gulp a buttload of air very fast.

The diesel even though it runs slower has no restriction in the air inlet and sucks a full load constantly no mater what the RPM.
The volume will increase as the turbo spools up and starts stuffing the little critter though.

Try and keep the size of the IC comperable to the PS or the Cummins though

Jim has an article on the use of the IC here, might be a good idea to cruise through that and have a look see.

I see the addition of an IC as a compromise as far as asthetics go.

If you want to try and hide the thing I dont think you can do it without other issues.

Johns instalation looks very clean, the only issue I have is the fact that its down on the dirt where any flying debris can potentially damage it.

My application will be in a grill/brush guard setup with the plumbing running down and under the truck.

Good luck with your quest

Robyn

Shikaroka
07-15-2007, 08:28
So, I guess to mount it down low (where it seems most people have), you have to remove the lower spoiler (air dam).

I too have been wondering how big of a core is required. We run pretty low boost (comparitively), but what about the CFMs?
Would a smaller intercooler, like 30x6x2 (or something) work?

Where is the guy that did the top mount? I have been playing with that idea for a while. I'd like to know how that turned out.

EDIT:
I guess Robyn was typing at the same time I was.

j_k_auto
07-15-2007, 10:34
Well I know how it will go if I put it down below. Either I will put a hole in it or I will damage it good with it down there. I do know there is a way to keep the rad cool with the intercooler up there I just need to get one to fit. We will see.:confused:

Rhinopkc
07-15-2007, 17:23
From my perspective and for a 6.5 IC kit to be commercially viable, it has to go below the bumper. Putting it behind the grille means modifying the A/C condenser or radiator core support. These mods are certainly doable (i.e. Lil Red), but the typical owner would balk at the idea - so it's not commercially viable.

I don't know where Pen's IC goes, but it's likely below the bumper.

As Robyn mentioned, those who off-road are not the best candidates for a below the bumper IC installation. Water/meth injection might be a reasonable alternative.

Jim

Speaking of peninsular, can you give me a working address for their site?

DmaxMaverick
07-15-2007, 17:58
Speaking of peninsular, can you give me a working address for their site?

http://www.peninsularengine.com/

bl78ljb
07-15-2007, 18:13
John, I was wondering if you have any close up pics of the intercooler under the bumper, and also underhood pics as well as I am wondering how you have routed the tubing as it appears to go on both sides of the engine compartment. Also, how do you like the cowl hood?? From what I have seen they do not direct the air to the intake like the car hoods do, do you find it helps with underhood temps and or IAT temps??

Rhinopkc
07-15-2007, 19:46
http://www.peninsularengine.com/
Thanks, not much going on there! Most of the site is "under construction".

DmaxMaverick
07-15-2007, 20:10
Thanks, not much going on there! Most of the site is "under construction".

They've never really been on top of their website, but very good on the phone or through email.

Dmax son
07-16-2007, 02:46
It seems to me that a intercooler like the duramax that has a larger frontal area is more efficient, than a intercooler that has a smaller frontal area, but is deeper. As air passes thought it, it picks up heat, and becomes less effective at picking up more heat. So a deeper intercooler is not going to shed as much heat at the back of the intercooler, as well as the duramax intercooler can, with its larger frontal area and narrower depth.

Bryan

Dmax son
07-16-2007, 02:51
I have a duramax intercooler, and it doesn't fit around my 99 suburban radiator.

Bryan

TurboDiverArt
07-16-2007, 04:04
Holy geez! That's a lot of money!

I am interested in any new IC products, but I too am not crazy about mounting one below the bumper. I'd be pretty upset if I put a rock or stick through my expensive hunk of aluminum!
I agree, if you really off road. I've had my DIY intercooler on for a year or two now. I

j_k_auto
07-16-2007, 08:16
I have a duramax intercooler, and it doesn't fit around my 99 suburban radiator.

Bryan

Did you get install it or do you just have one lying around?

Yea I think this is what I am going to do. I am leaning on going this route.:D

Dmax son
07-16-2007, 19:57
Between the inlet and outlet of the duramax intercooler is 40.25 and my suburban radiator is 41 inches. The options I can see is get the duramax radiator, or get a smaller radiator. Offset the radiator and intercooler about 5 inches, and cut off 5 inches of height off the intercooler core. Last would be to cut the end tanks off the intercooler and make new ones that place the inlet and outlet about 1.5 inches further apart. The best option I can see is getting the duramax radiator to fit in the intercooler, that way you can keep the size of the intercooler.

Bryan

john8662
07-19-2007, 13:47
John, I was wondering if you have any close up pics of the intercooler under the bumper, and also underhood pics as well as I am wondering how you have routed the tubing as it appears to go on both sides of the engine compartment. Also, how do you like the cowl hood?? From what I have seen they do not direct the air to the intake like the car hoods do, do you find it helps with underhood temps and or IAT temps??

Well, I don't really have any good pics to illustrate the routing of the tubing, it can be a bit of a tight fit, but still workable around the components.

Here is the underhood picture:

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/505/Engine_Compartment.jpg

A few more modifications have been made to the setup that were learned from the '82 racing project.

Tubes have beading added to the ends to keep the silicone in place, T-bolt clamps were used all-around and re-inforced silicone was used instead the tubing kit supplied boots.

In all fairness, this isn't going to be the SAME install, because of the different turbo used, but a GM-8 could be adapted to the setup a LOT easier than the Holset was.

Cowl Hood?

I enjoy this addition the most, keeps underhood temps down considerably, which helps my PMD (not FSD) work in factory location and my non-cold-air-intake work better.

I'll get some time to do better in that department tho...

And, the blue '45 needs to be BLACK to have the engine more "color coordinated" haha!

One of my neighbors in town saw this setup when I popped the hood and said "how'd you cram all that in there", answer = carefully.

This is the same neighbor that came to Missoula MT to bail me out after the crank broke.

J

bl78ljb
07-19-2007, 19:19
That looks like a great setup, however, your upper intake manifold is either clocked or not stock, and the later would be my guess???

GMC Hauler
07-20-2007, 04:17
Tubes have beading added to the ends to keep the silicone in place, T-bolt clamps were used all-around and re-inforced silicone was used instead the tubing kit supplied boots.

Where or how did you bead the tubing?

Shikaroka
07-20-2007, 07:39
That looks like a great setup, however, your upper intake manifold is either clocked or not stock, and the later would be my guess???

It looks like the marine upper intake. I'd like to get one of these, but I'm not sure where to find one.

john8662
07-20-2007, 10:19
The beading was done by a TIG welder, cost me some $ as usual to take it down to a local welder, but well worth it, because now no more popping off boots due to high boost pressures.

The upper intake piece is Peninsular's, You can call them and order one, they are a sweet deal. All you need to do is mount your sensors on it.

One 3/8 NPT tap for the computer's AIT sensor, and one 1/8" NPT tap for a nipple to add to get MAP pressure.

J

bl78ljb
07-20-2007, 10:36
The beading was done by a TIG welder, cost me some $ as usual to take it down to a local welder, but well worth it, because now no more popping off boots due to high boost pressures.

The upper intake piece is Peninsular's, You can call them and order one, they are a sweet deal. All you need to do is mount your sensors on it.

One 3/8 NPT tap for the computer's AIT sensor, and one 1/8" NPT tap for a nipple to add to get MAP pressure.

J

Any port for boost?? Also, I wonder if they will offer this with their new IC setup.

Shikaroka
07-20-2007, 11:33
because now no more popping off boots due to high boost pressures.

How much boost??

john8662
07-20-2007, 13:59
You could also tap for boost, same 1/8" tap.

I tapped my lower intake manifold for Boost and aftermarket AIT sensor.

Was running 20psi at WOT, same boost on my '82 and '95 18:1 6.5TD's.

Shikaroka
07-20-2007, 14:54
Was running 20psi at WOT, same boost on my '82 and '95 18:1 6.5TD's.

20psi WOW!

moondoggie
07-20-2007, 17:22
Good Day!

It appears he's made up his mind, which is maybe unfortunate. j k auto: if more advice will offend you, please don't read further; enjoy your project & let us know how it all goes. :D As a matter of fact, if you never intend to pull heavy, maybe you're better off with an in-front-of-the-radiator charge air cooler anyway. ;)

[COLOR=black]Remember, this is from someone who

j_k_auto
07-20-2007, 17:39
Good Day!

It appears he's made up his mind, which is maybe unfortunate. j k auto: if more advice will offend you, please don't read further; enjoy your project & let us know how it all goes. :D As a matter of fact, if you never intend to pull heavy, maybe you're better off with an in-front-of-the-radiator charge air cooler anyway. ;)

I like reading the posts everyone is outting out there. I do like the advice. I just want to make the right choice once I do this. I think I know what I am going to do plus it will hopefully work great. we will see:D.
I only want to do this once so I am doing alot of research on this before I start my project.

Thanks everyone for you imput....need more imput..:D