PDA

View Full Version : Powermaster 9052 Starter for 6.5!

damork
07-11-2007, 14:20
I finally got around to diagnosing a weak starting problem and turned out my OEM starter needs rebuilding. I went for the Powermaster 9052 and what a change!

I removed the old one after verifying I had over 10V to the starter while cranking. Installed the new one and before buttoning everything up, I wanted to bump the starter to ensure all connections were right, and thought if I didn't wait for glow plugs to heat up I would be fine.

Bumping this starter made my 6.5 leap to life without the aid of glow plugs - yes it is hot here, but I've never experienced this kind of starter power in over 300k miles of 6.2/6.5 ownership. I am very pleased in how it spins up now. The OEM starter was never this quick. The test document shows the Powermaster can pull over 800 amps if it is available. I'm upgraded most of the cables to 2/0 welding cable.

I don't know the long term story, but can't wait to see how things spin when temps go below 0 again.

rameye
07-11-2007, 15:27
did you try the new starter with the old cables??

wonder if its the starter, or those sewer pipes for cables!! ;)

damork
07-11-2007, 18:58
I started with OEM cables on the new starter first then moved to the sewer pipes - definitely was the starter. Talked to a few vendors and one had particularly good info that confirms what I experienced.