PDA

View Full Version : Flame pattern on pistons and warranty claims denied??

7.4 VORTEC
07-11-2007, 15:56
Good day all,

Posted a question in the performance area, but not sure if it was read. Ford has out a tech bulletin claiming if a truck is in for a warranty claim (eg, head gasket) and the top of the pistons show a "star shaped" burn pattern that the truck has run a chip or programmer, even if there is no sign of this in the ecm. If the techs find a star shaped burn pattern, then the truck is denied warranty claim. Has anyone heard of this and is it possible that the duramax would have a similar burn pattern if the truck is chipped or reprogrammed?

More Power or John Kennedy, any thoughts on this? Do we know if the duramax head/injector system will produce a similar burn print if modified? Any input would be helpful.

Thanks,
George

Dakster
07-11-2007, 18:05
I remember that star pattern post over at TDS and I believe it is an ubran legend. Duramaster has some nice pics of Dmax motors blown up that were from chips/programmers/nos and/or pane. Apparently adding too much HP to a motor causes a different type of failure in the bearings and/or pistons than when the motor fails and is stock.

So, to answer your question, not sure about a star pattern, but it seems GM can tell if a motor failure is because of a HP/TQ adding device or not.

Duramaster
07-11-2007, 18:27
AHHHHHHHHHH HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! I have a C-4500 in the shop right now that "HAD" The Juice on it. I gave the customer a copy of the bulletin that DAKSTER is talking about. He almost immediately removed it. The funny thing is he brought the truck into the GMC DEALERSHIP complaining of the dipstick keeps popping out and excessive SMOKE. I climbed into the truck and saw that the Juice was set at position 5 (EXTREME) The truck ran hard but DUHH!!

Now someone else owns the truck and too bad for him, The right head is warped, the block has some light scoring and pitting from the water that was in the cylinders. :D

And yes, there is the star pattern, but it is consistent with the spray pattern of the fuel injectors.