PDA

View Full Version : Engine out. Good lord, what does one of these things weigh?

Cowracer
04-04-2005, 03:55
I finally got some decent weather, and I got the engine out of the truck. The good news it that I have the coveted 599 block.

The bad news is that this thing not only folded up my brand new 1000# engine stand like a lawn chair, but it busted off one of the wheels on the engine hoist. I almost dropped the whole thing from about 3-4 feet in the air! :eek:

As is was, in my rush to get it down to the ground while keeping the whole hoist from tipping over, i bent the crap out of my turbo-master.

I thought these motors only weighed like 850 lbs. Now I got to go and get a 2000# engine stand.

I tell you, its a disturbing sight, looking into your engine bay and seeing only a gaping hole!

Tim

markrinker
04-04-2005, 04:01
There are some pretty shoddy engine stands and cherry pickers being sold out there. Not sure how they go about rating them.

I had a stand purchased at a local parts store that could barely support the weight of a smallblock Chevy with aluminum heads. I was sure it would break at any minute!

Remember, the longer the lifting arm is extended, the more stress placed on the stand.

eracers999
04-04-2005, 04:18
When i built my new eng bout 2 months ago it was about 1 am when i had it built complete and i mean complete. I noticed that the engine would not stop bouncing on the engine stand, so i stepped back and took a look at it, what a sad sight, i envisioned the engine stand folding up and dropping it on the balancer, noop i went and hooked up the engine hoist to help hold it up so i could get some sleep. I would guess that a regular engine stand could be very dangerous to do one of these engines on.

Kent

john8662
04-04-2005, 09:03
I've been critisized here before for putting a 600lb. (just long block weight) on a 2000 lb engine stand before. But ya know, I've still got all my fingers and toes :D

But really, all I did was buy the Harbor Freight stuff, I've got their folding engine hoist, works really well, and I've definitly stress tested it (dressed 6.2 engine, tranny, and transfter case in one pull on the 1000lb hole on the hoist). Do it again, probably not, but nuthin broke! I also like their 2000lb engine stand, I just picked up a second just the other day, not bad.

ees
04-04-2005, 17:20
Speaking of ratings we have a 30,000 lb press at work. One of these cheap things with a bottle jack. Well one of the assembliers bent it really bad using just a 20 ton bottle jack. Even with light pressure on the jack handle it was deforming the unit.

I think when a product like these are "designed" and built in a country where they have no concept of pounds it is asking for trouble. I guess you just have to use the by eye derating factor. I figure our 30,000 lb press at work is good for about 10k.

That said my Chinese hoist and engine stand from Northern has treated me well.

markrinker
04-04-2005, 17:56
Hmmm...wouldn't a "20 ton" bottle jack be capable of 40,000 lbs lift? Maybe that explains the deforming of a 30,000 lb press?

Chris611
04-04-2005, 18:01
I once heard that a lot of foreign floor jacks are rated at what they will hold, not what they can lift. In other words a you can place 2 tons on a floor jack and it will hold, but you cannot lift 2 tons. Wonder if engine hoists are similar...

Kidd
04-04-2005, 18:32
Lucky you didn't drop the thing on the floor, diesel engines are heavy. Not sure, but think the specs say about 800 lbs. more than the gas job? :confused: :confused:
K.D.

ees
04-05-2005, 02:24
Oops. I wrote 30k and it is 60k.

C.K. Piquup
04-05-2005, 02:41
So,I`m curious,how much does one of these engines weigh?I have Northern hoist & stand.They whine and moan,but do the job(same w/small blocks).I still keep my toes and other valueables out from under it.

Dvldog 8793
04-05-2005, 05:07
Howdy
I have a Northern engine hoist. It has always done the job for me. From lifting Pontiac and chev big blocks ot a small block 400 with M22 trans to a 1700lb steel table top(this broke the lifting eye and fell on top of the legs, both frnt casters shattered and my ears are still ringing! :eek: )
That being said and the fact that I am welder by trade I have recently "modififed & gusseted" the unit and it no longer bounces when under load.
I used a shop built engine stand for my 6.5 and it never sagged or bent.
I have an American made 2ton floor jack that is for sale as it will not reliably lift the frnt end of my truck. any interest? MN buyers only.
As far as Hydrolics are concerned I always try to buy American. My new OTC 3 ton floor jack made me REALLY think about that :eek: :eek: $$$$!!!!
L8r
Conley Janssen

arveetek
04-05-2005, 05:49
Yeah, engine stand ratings don't seem to be standardized. My made in America Ex-Cel 1000lb. capacity stand holds my fully dressed 6.2L, with turbo and exhaust manifolds, just fine. Doesn't sway, bounce, bend, or anything. However, a buddy of mine's China made 1000lb. capacity stand wouldn't hold a 454 without bending. He had to use the hoist on the free end of the motor at all times to keep it from breaking and falling to the floor.

My stand even has a small American Flag imprinted on the side! :D

Buy American!!

Casey

arrowheadracing
04-05-2005, 07:02
Originally posted by Cowracer:
I finally got some decent weather, and I got the engine out of the truck. The good news it that I have the coveted 599 block.

The bad news is that this thing not only folded up my brand new 1000# engine stand like a lawn chair, but it busted off one of the wheels on the engine hoist. I almost dropped the whole thing from about 3-4 feet in the air! :eek:

As is was, in my rush to get it down to the ground while keeping the whole hoist from tipping over, i bent the crap out of my turbo-master.

I thought these motors only weighed like 850 lbs. Now I got to go and get a 2000# engine stand.

I tell you, its a disturbing sight, looking into your engine bay and seeing only a gaping hole!

Tim If you need some help with the stand let me know.

john8662
04-05-2005, 07:46
As far as weight, the last block I shipped weighed in at 606lb, this was a VERY stripped down long block. Assembled block, heads bolted on, with only the oil pan for tins and the front timing cover. I was surprised, I told the shipper it weighed 500lb, tried to sneak one by :rolleyes: .

I don't know what a dressed 6.5 weighs with the intake and exhaust on it, minus the accessories but with brackets.

trbankii
04-06-2005, 04:39
Any chance of some pics?

I'm curious to see how Cowracer's stand folded up and also the modifications that Dvldog made to his hoist. I've been pushing the limits of my hoist and the combination of seeing how the one failed and what others have done to beef theirs up would be helpful before tearing into mine.

Cowracer
04-06-2005, 05:13
My camera is out on loan, so no pics of actual damage, but heres a pic of the stand I had.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/32900-32999/32916.gif

The stand itself (orange part) held up ok with only the round part at the top getting moderatly egg shaped.

The black plate with the arms was the problem. The plate and arms bent badly and the shaft that goes into the orange frame bent down approx 10 degrees. The stand never actually supported the full weight of the engine. It bent as I was lowering the hoist, and I stopped when I saw that there was no way in hell the stand would hold the whole enchilada.

I am taking it back to harbor-freight tonight, and I'll see if they will refund my money.

Tim

trbankii
04-06-2005, 08:16
Sorry, I got the impression that the hoist had folded up on you. Reread the post and saw that it was the stand.

Still interested in upgrading my hoist. Don't have a stand yet, but will go high capacity with this information!

Cowracer
04-06-2005, 08:29
The hoist lost a caster, which almost dumped the whole thing over.

The hoist had different ratings for how far out you pinned the boom. I had it on the 1/2 ton setting and the hoist itself didn't even groan.

I think the hoist just had a bad caster and would have let go lifting a 4 cyl toyota motor.

I looked at the pics on Harbor Freights web page for the 2000# engine stand. The black plate looks identical to the 1000# model. I hope that it's substatially beefier, or else the 2000# unit wont work either

T

C.K. Piquup
04-07-2005, 02:29
I`m going to the shop right now and putting a 2,000lb. sticker on my stand.

ees
04-08-2005, 18:03
Hey if I put 3500 on the side of my truck can I haul more? smile.gif

trbankii
04-10-2005, 07:24
Sure! All those little street racer cars seem to get a lot more horsepower out of all those stickers! :D :D Don't see why it wouldn't work on a truck!

Cowracer
04-11-2005, 03:27
FYI:

The 2000# engine stand from Harbor Freight Tools will do the job. It's a little 'springy' with a fully dressed 6.5 on it, but I am not in fear of the whole thing collapsing.

Price was 79.95 (on sale this week), and they DID take back their POS, twisted up 1000# unit with no questions asked. Bravo on them!

Tim