PDA

View Full Version : Which Trucks Have Factory 3.5

cutlas
07-13-2007, 12:29
I have a 1993 extended cab long box and would like to upgrade the exhaust on the cheep.
What year of truck Ford, Chevy, or Dodge came with a factory 3.5

DmaxMaverick
07-13-2007, 14:21
2001 started GM/Duramax 3.5" exhaust. F and D were 3", but they are not compatible w/o significant modification. Some later models were 3.5", but the modification required may negate practical use. Check with TDP member's locations. It is very likely you'll find someone near you with a Duramax take-off. If you need one with a Cat, 2002+ CA models have them, and 2004.5+ Fed models have them. If you don't want a Cat, 2001 CA, and up to 2004 Fed models are w/o. I have a take-off from my 2001 I was planning to install on my '95 cab/chassis, and, according to my measurements, modification is minor, mostly the hangers, with some cut and clamps or welding. Because the length is different, adjustments can be made to accomodate the crossmember and axle. I was not planning on using the Duramax muffler, so that may present an issue if you do (it's rather large and oval/offset shaped). The Duramax (early, non Cat) system is in 2 pieces, with a bolt-on flange about 4' from the downpipe. I can provide some more measurements (and pics) if you need, I just don't have them on hand now. The exhaust system I have is out of the truck and accessible.

cutlas
07-13-2007, 15:52
I have no need for a cat so that is not a problem. I thought Robyn was using a 3.5" exhaust from a ford on her truck so that may be an option as well.

DmaxMaverick
07-13-2007, 16:27
When it comes to Robyn, all bets are off. She'll stuff a CAT550/Eaton into her dually one of these days, with room to spare. She's no stranger to extensive adaptation. Having your own well equipped machine shop, and the experience to use it, helps too.

I was offering options that seem more practical to the driveway (shadetree) mechanic. You can make anything fit anywhere, but it depends on how much modification you are willing to do. I think adapting an OEM Ford or Dodge exhaust system would be more time, effort and expense than starting from scratch, for your needs. Also, there should not be much, if any, cost difference for the basic take-off system, from any late model brand. You can buy a ready made system that will bolt up to your truck, and you know the cost for that. If you goal is to shorten the $ end w/o too much headache, consider my advice. You should be able to get a Duramax take-off for less than $100, from a private party or a wrecking yard.

Robyn
07-13-2007, 18:10
:D :D :D

Thanks Dmax

Well my dually has a Banks Stinger system on it thanks to the Previous owner.

Maybe a 3208T would be a nice swap with a little allison holding the back of the engine off the dirt.

The ready made exhausts are about the best for the $$$ unless you have tools and the ambition to crawl around under the truck. A wire welder is a nice perk too.

Jardine makes a nice setup as does Banks Engineering.
Come to think of it I have a complete Jardine setup for a 94 dually crew cab sitting in the shop. It was setup for use with a catlicker but a couple cuts to get the flange off and a short piece of pipe and you would be set.

The long back section would need to be shortened a little bit though as this was for the crew cab.

If you are interested let me know.

I am really getting hot to build a killer 6.5 tbat will take a backseat to none other.

With Johns Burb going down on the way to the pulls it leaves the 6.5 crowd without any rep this year. :eek:

If the Good Lord is willing maybe the Geocruiser can show next year with some serious Horse Pressure under the hood.

LATER

Robyn

NutNbutGMC
07-13-2007, 20:18
When it comes to Robyn, all bets are off. She'll stuff a CAT550/Eaton into her dually one of these days, with room to spare. Robyn, upon that, will you marry me? :D Or at least allow me to put a foot on the pedal? D@mn I'd love to have a 550 Cat in one of these light trucks.

Robyn
07-13-2007, 20:30
Heck I have one in my transfer truck and empty the sucker is like a bloody sports car.

550HP and 1850 Ftlbs of torque at 1200 rpm.

Sucker will break stuff if you use it wrong.
The computer will only let you have about 50% in the first couple gears in the 18 box to avoid making funny looking pretzels out of the drive lines.

The 600 cat puts out over 2000 pounds of torque at 1200 RPM :eek:

Hook that much power up to a load and something is gonna move, OR break??? :rolleyes:

Would be kewl but I do believe we would need a "truck stretcher"
That much Cat is long and heavy.

Not sure on the weight but with the 18 box I would guess 2500-3000# at least maybe more plus where are you gonna put the huge radiator to cool the monster..:)

Years ago I shoe horned a 3208 into a Ford F250.
We needed a jack to get the front end off the dirt. Once that was done and the springs fixed it was a running fool.

Very noisy inside though and a lot of vibration due to the lack of the fancy sound materials used today.

Used the divorced T case with the little Allison auto box. was sweet.

cutlas
07-13-2007, 23:30
Dmax Maverick I am going to take your advice and fined a take off Duramax exhaust without Cat. I must have misunderstood about Robyn

Robyn
07-14-2007, 07:53
Not a problem..:D

I may just trim this Jardine system a tad and stick it on the 94 Burb.

Old girl could use a some deep breathing tubes. After 250K the catlicker is probably plugged anyway. :eek:

later

Robyn

Turbo Al
07-14-2007, 21:49
What part of the Country are you in Cutlas??

Al

twaddle
07-15-2007, 01:57
Hi Robyn,
I'm thinking of shipping our Suburban over to Alberta when we move over and one of the first things to be getting done to it is a Jardine exhaust system (less expensive to ship the new ex system up to Alberta compared with over here to Scotland.

What diameter is the Jardine system you have and if you get a chance to fit it over the next couple of months let me know what you think.

Our Sub is already fitted with a Heath PCM (extra HP) and the old asthmatic standard system is doing the truck no favors.

Regards

Jim

cutlas
07-16-2007, 07:16
Hi Al. I live just out side of Edmonton Alberta.
I am going to do the wrecking yard hunt when I get back from holidays.

dieseldummy
07-16-2007, 21:12
Dmax exhaust will work if you leave the muffler out. the hangers need reworked and some minor cutting/welding is required. If you have no GN hitch P-stroke exhaust may work. 99+ is 3.5", but the tailpipe bend make clearence tight.

stingthieves
07-17-2007, 17:15
Have you actually installed a dMax exhaust under a 6.5 truck????

I have - and I gotta say that there was NOTHING that fit without EXTENSIVE modification. The pipe behind the cat needed to be cut and welded with a new twist. The mid pipe went in backwards and was lengthened. and the tail pipe - well it was not close when I began.

Why did I do it - I had a hoist for the day and a new take off system that didn't cost me anything. Without either or both - it would not have been worth the challenge.

dieseldummy
07-17-2007, 18:51
A Dmax system is what's under my '93... I did say some cutting and welding would be required.

Squatch
07-24-2007, 20:50
I am running a 4" Warpspeed exhaust on my 94 Suburban. Easy fit and decent price. It took longer to get the old system off than it did to install the new.
www.warpspeedperformance.com