PDA

View Full Version : grind noise when backing slow

40grit
07-15-2007, 18:22
I've sometimes got a grinding noise coming from the rear brakes when backing up at slow speed. comes and goes..doesn't appear to be any signs of disc surface problems on either back disc. Anyone else got anything like this??

More Power
07-20-2007, 13:53
Does it do this if your foot is off the brake pedal?

Jim

40grit
07-20-2007, 15:12
nope, only when on the brakes, right before it stops, say less than 3 mph, kinda a grinding shudder, no signs of anything on main discs, I wonder what the parking shoes look like inside the drum...
I'm assuming they autoadjust, but shouldn' t they only do it when you apply the parking brake while backing?

More Power
07-20-2007, 15:29
The rear rotors on these trucks can see more rusting if the truck isn't driven all that much. They don't see the same degree of wear the front rotors do, which means a patina of polished rust can remain. Its also likely that residue can build up on the inside surfaces of the pads. If you don't hear this grinding noise with your foot off the brake, I might be inclined to pull the rear pads to check. Perhaps a little block sanding with 80-grit will clean them up. :)

Jim

Mark Rinker
07-20-2007, 19:44
...or go tow something heavy for awhile. My brakes are always bright and shiny! :)

40grit
07-20-2007, 20:23
rotors are clean and shiny, no rust anywhere to be seen

More Power
07-20-2007, 21:15
I've sometimes got a grinding noise coming from the rear brakes when backing up at slow speed. comes and goes.. Anyone else got anything like this??

Check for Camrys or Accords clogging the works... :D On a serious note, if the prob isn't rotor/pad related... I dunno...

Jim

bpfaeh
01-09-2008, 19:37
Did you ever find an answer to this? Took my '07 Classic to the stealership today to get it looked at for the same thing.

40grit
01-09-2008, 20:06
nope, it still comes and goes, although the dealer says "all of them do it" it doesn't do enough to worry about, can't seem to narrow down a cause yet, not rain, not sitting too long, not surface rust, not day after rain, etc...

bpfaeh
01-29-2008, 15:15
Yeah, got mine back after the dealer said they turned the FRONT rotors....still does it. I took my truck in for a list of several small things and they didnt fix any of them. Sometimes I really wonder what they are doing there! Im guessing this will be with the truck forever, but Im going to keep taking it back in every 5K miles until the warranty is up and then Ill ask for an extended warranty or something.

madmatt
01-30-2008, 18:07
turning the rear rotors always fixed this when i had'em.