PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Question

richp
07-15-2007, 21:05
I have five gallons of diesel that have been sitting in a plastic jerry can for a year or so. I'd like to throw it in the 01 Dmax and use it up, but I'm a little concerned.

Anybody have any thoughts about the likelihood it grew bacteria, yeast or other critters while it sat, and will plug my fuel filter if I use it?

If so, is there any practical way to pre-filter it before I use it, or am I just stuck with disposing it out of caution.

Rich Phillips

PaulChristenson
07-15-2007, 23:18
I have five gallons of diesel that have been sitting in a plastic jerry can for a year or so. I'd like to throw it in the 01 Dmax and use it up, but I'm a little concerned.

Anybody have any thoughts about the likelihood it grew bacteria, yeast or other critters while it sat, and will plug my fuel filter if I use it?

If so, is there any practical way to pre-filter it before I use it, or am I just stuck with disposing it out of caution.

Rich Phillips

Burn it in your oil-fired furnace...or your old diesel Farm tractor...;)

DmaxMaverick
07-15-2007, 23:21
If it's clear, not cloudy, has no scum or scale on the inside of the can, use it with confidence. If there's any substance settled out in the bottom, just don't use that part, it's water, rust or something else. Syphon it off above that, if you have to. You can also screen it through a coffee filter for added assurance. Diesel fuel is pretty long lasting, if kept from contamination and bio growth. I have used fuel over 20 years old with no problems. Do not use it in a late model Diesel with a DPF (2007.5 Duramax, new body style), as it will not likely be ULSD.

Mark Rinker
07-16-2007, 07:28
For the <$15 bucks 'saved', why bother? Use it to start a big brush fire somewhere.

richp
07-16-2007, 11:12
Thanks for the info. Regrettably, I don't have an oil-fired burner or old tractor, and there's no brush to burn on my little suburban tract here in the Chicago suburbs.

Mark, you've echoed my basic thought. I figure a clogged filter or introducing a big batch of growing bio-critters to a full tank may be inviting trouble. But I've got some Scotch in me when it comes to trying to squeeze a buck, and if there was a safe way to use it, I wanted to find out.

Rich Phillips

More Power
07-16-2007, 13:43
I'd use it... if it looked OK.

Jim

D_R_C
07-16-2007, 15:42
Thanks for the info. Regrettably, I don't have an oil-fired burner or old tractor, and there's no brush to burn on my little suburban tract here in the Chicago suburbs.

Mark, you've echoed my basic thought. I figure a clogged filter or introducing a big batch of growing bio-critters to a full tank may be inviting trouble. But I've got some Scotch in me when it comes to trying to squeeze a buck, and if there was a safe way to use it, I wanted to find out.

Rich Phillips

15 bucks saved v.s. $10K-$15K engine this my friend should not be a no brainer.

Dakster
07-16-2007, 19:18
If it looks good, I'd run it. At work we have a 3000 gallon tank of diesel for the backup generators. The fuel is AT LEAST three years old and hasn't been topped off in over a year. The fuel is good and still starts and runs the geneator when needed and for its monthly test without an issue. At almost $3 a gal. I doubt anyone is looking to throwing out almost $9k worth of fuel.

I'd run that fuel in my truck if it was ULSD, which it obviously is not. Again, only you can make the call as to whether the fuel is good or not or whether it is worth it to run it, since we wont be paying to fix any issues that may develope.

JohnC
07-18-2007, 15:03
... I've got some Scotch in me

Scotch or Scottish?

;)