PDA

View Full Version : Oil Usage

pimajim
07-16-2007, 12:48
2001 2500HD, Duramax, Allison, 95000 miles. Something suddenly ate a lot of oil, no smoke, no leaks. I have changed the oil again, was really dirty after only 2000 miles, used like 2 quarts. I was driving along and noticed the oil pressure doing weird things pulled over and the engine was emitting a hi frequency ping sound. Shut it down..let it sit..turned it on again and all was OK. Added oil, did not do that again.
Once home, I went through, new oil, new filter, (change every 5000 anyhow)
and replaced the fuel filter as it had 15,000 on it. I had noticed reduced power on the last trip. New Fuel filter brought it back, could it have also caused the engine to suck out oil??? What else, no noticeable extra smoke, no odors.????

Mark Rinker
07-17-2007, 15:43
The only time I see oil consumption with my LB7s is operations in high temps - which is nothing even close to what you experience in the summer, in Arizona.

I would start by cleaning your radiator/AC condensor/intercooler stack thoroughly of bugs and debris. You might consider replacing or at least boiling out the radiator - I did that on my 2002 when the water pump was replaced and it made a huge difference in operating temps, tranny temps, etc.

The ability for the engine to dissapate heat depends on your oil as well as water, and for that to work well, your radiator, water pump, and cooling system must be working at peak efficiency.

Your engine is telling you something - and you are listening. If you have the original water pump and fan clutch, personally, I'd throw parts at it if you suspect either are weak, when you have the radiator out, to get the cooling system efficiency back to near OEM levels.

My theory...for what its worth.