PDA

View Full Version : Wich conversion is best

tewkes
07-16-2007, 18:55
I want to make a diesel conversion for use with vegetal oil on a suv like Grand Cherokee, Explorer or Blazer/Jimmy near 1995.

I tough about a Grand Cherokee with a 5,9 cummins, is that a good idea ?

If not, what could be the easiest conversion to do (suv model and diesel engine)?

JeepSJ
07-16-2007, 19:16
A 5.9 is waaaayyyy too big and heavy for the unibody ZJ/WJ chassis. There is someone here that is working on a 6.2 into one of those, but I think even that is too big. I have seen what happens when you put big torque into a unibody, and the result is not pretty. Try to find yourself a smaller 4cyl, like the CRD that Jeep put into the Liberty for a few years.

I have seen a Cummins 4bt stuffed into an Explorer. That was a nice swap. That vehicle has a full frame. Owner claimed over 30mpg.

Blazer/Jimmy would also be good, especially with a 6.2/6.5 because that is basically a bolt-in deal.

tewkes
07-17-2007, 18:10
OK, So the easiest would be a 95 and + Jimmy/Blazer with a 6,2 or 6,5.

I suppose that the best is take the 6,2/6,5 transmission, and for the transfer case too...

And when you say almost bolt-in, is that mean that there is not much transformation to do with the engine support ?

And do you think that all the rest will be tought enough ?

Yukon6.2
07-17-2007, 22:58
Do you have a project vehical already?If not you can buy a gm suv with the diesel already and consentrate on the veggi oil end of things.