PDA

View Full Version : 2-stroke oil added to fuel in ULSD engines

JeepSJ
07-16-2007, 19:11
We have had the discussions here about adding 2-stroke oil to fuel. The new engines that are designed for ULSD - engines with soot traps - would the addition of 2-stroke oil to the fuel cause more soot to be generated? Potential problems with soot traps from doing that?

Kick Ass Matt
09-11-2007, 13:00
We have had the discussions here about adding 2-stroke oil to fuel. The new engines that are designed for ULSD - engines with soot traps - would the addition of 2-stroke oil to the fuel cause more soot to be generated? Potential problems with soot traps from doing that?

I don't see why you'd need to add lubricity to a low lubricity fuel when the engine was designed to burn low lubricity fuel.

6.2's were designed in the era where there was SD (sulfer diesel). Back in the days when we had number 1 and number 2

Then the 6.5's came out. We still had #1 and #2. Then the mid 90's came around with LSD (low sulfur diesel). It's not so much that the fuel has no sulfur it's more like the process of removing sulfur also removes a lot of the lubricity of the fuel itself. During the mid 90's not only the 6.5's had fuel problems, so did power stroke, so did the IDI's in VW and Mercedes.

With the advant of that people started doing home brew stuff like ATF, 2 stroke oil, etc etc.

Now w/ULSD it's making it even worse for our old 6.2 / 6.5's.

At the end of the day if you're running ULSD in your D-max I don't see why you'd need to add anything to the fuel. I myself have a PD TDI that was designed to run on ULSD. The only thing I run in it is dyed diesel (in Canada dyed diesel is also USLD).

DA BIG ONE
10-06-2007, 19:43
Any thoughts on what ratio of ashless 2 stroke should be used in a 99 6.5td?