PDA

View Full Version : Spring problems - suggestions and help needed!

Splitrimz
07-17-2007, 16:52
After years of towing my travel trailer, I believe the springs on my 94 C3500 Crew Cab Dually are tired. The helper springs are banging on the upper stops even when unloaded and I hit a good bounce. I looked and the helpers are about an inch or less from the stops. I never had to replace springs so I'm looking for the best, ie not necessarily the cheapest but I do have budget limitations. I think my choices are OEM springs, Re-arching the springs or find an aftermarket solution. I found what I think are new springs at an aftermarket house and they were around 350 each before shipping. I'm not sure of the match though the description isn't familiar to me.

Any one else have their truck get tired and had to deal with this problem? All advice and suggestions welcome. Splitrimz

DmaxMaverick
07-17-2007, 18:49
Airbags! Dump the overloads, and the airbags will take up the slack for them, and make up for the tired springs. Easy install, and adjustable, even on the fly with an onboard compressor.

Ebrown
07-17-2007, 21:29
Re-arching springs is a waste of money as that it is a short-term repair. Re-arching spring is done by heating the spring and rebending and can get expencive as you would have alot of springs in the rear! I would look for after market springs or go the the locate a scrap yard for a newer Hd 3500 springs but make you measure the your springs and compare them with the one you looking at. Doing you spring isn't a big deal just support your 1 ton safely us good jack stands.. when you get new spring make sure you get new ubolts and nuts. this will make it faster removing the spings you can just cut the old ubolts.

Fab Tech Racing http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/html/home.html
or

4 wheelparts.
Call and there 800 number and dial ext 5121 and ask for Christion. I have sent 1000 of dollars with him in over 8 yrs. He is a good friend and He should be able to find what you want. Ps tell him Eric Brown in saginaw Michigan sent you to him.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/CT1.aspx

chipper
07-18-2007, 20:13
Airbags! Dump the overloads, and the airbags will take up the slack for them, and make up for the tired springs. Easy install, and adjustable, even on the fly with an onboard compressor.

X2
I got em & I like em!!

wade-ve7trw
07-18-2007, 23:22
Here Is another solution: http://www.timbren.com. I Have Them installed on both ends of a 79 duelly 4x4. A little stiff on the ride empty but smooth whem hooked to my car trailer loaded with a full size burb on it.

JeffsTowTruck
07-21-2007, 03:33
http://car-part.com/
Try this and I would look under " rear axle " then call the closest salvage yard to see if they have the springs.

joescj5
07-21-2007, 05:14
Call your local 4x4 custom shop. They may have a few sets laying around after installing lifts on other rigs.

Splitrimz
08-02-2007, 12:10
Well, I ordered a set of Air Bags, however to install them I need to order shorter Spring U-Bolts. The reason is that the air bag installation requires removal of the overload factory springs, which will lower the truck about three inches. The Firestone installation pamphlet says to purchase the ubolts from a local spring vendor.

That bummed me out that they wouldn't include U-Bolts with the kit. I searched the internet and cannot find any U-bolt vendor with the size required, about 9/16 bolts although I think it's metric. They are really hefty looking.

I was wondering if it wouldn't be possible to run threads up further on the old U-bolts. That might be cheaper than having a set of 4 custom made U-Bolts.

Anyone have any experience with getting around this installation nightmare?

Thanks, Splitrimz

DmaxMaverick
08-02-2007, 14:19
I've installed airbags of several brands (including Firestone) on many truck models (including GMT-400), and OL spring removal was always an option, not a requirement. At the same time, if you remove your OL, just cut the ends of the U-bolts (thread length allowing, there usually is enough), or leave them long if they don't get in the way. Unless you are an "off-roader", they shouldn't be a problem.

They may have changed their installation kit since my last install, which may require the removal. If so, please let me (us) know.

Splitrimz
08-02-2007, 14:25
DMax Maverick - Thanks for the reply. Yes I guess I'll evaluate it when I get ready to do it. The airbags are backordered at the place I found them. There is enough thread on the existing U-Bolts to accommodate the additional height of the air bag bracket so maybe I'll be OK to leave the O'Load spring and it's spacer in place. Splitrimz

Splitrimz
08-02-2007, 20:26
Well I double checked the installation instructions, I've included a link to the PDF file. Removing the overload spring is NOT an option.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/fip-rrin2065.pdf

Any suggestions on how I can get these installed without searching out new U-Bolts?

Thanks, Splitrimz

DmaxMaverick
08-02-2007, 21:18
It's different than the last set of Firestones I installed. Guess I've been spoiled with Airlift lately. Much more simple install with less hardware and you don't mess with the springs. The airbags are installed between the frame rail and axle tube, and they don't rely on a bracket for support. No holes to drill, too.

Still, if you have enough thread, you shouldn't have to replace the U-bolts. If necessary, I'd just cut them. Too simple.

Splitrimz
08-02-2007, 22:06
Thanks for pointing out the Airlift bags. I found them and looked at the installation. Much cleaner and not dependent on a bracket for support, as you said. I just sent an Email to exchange my order. Thanks, Splitrimz.

Splitrimz
08-19-2007, 18:27
Installed the Air Lift bags - I am well pleased, should have done it years ago. Installation was a
a little rough. I had to drill the frame while on my back on a concrete floor. Well worth the effort though.