PDA

View Full Version : Burb as house generator?

ees
04-04-2005, 15:36
I grew up in New England and had very few power outages. For the last decade or so I have lived in Virginia. It seems to be standard practice here.

So 2 hours ago we got power back after a day and a half. I am looking for a solution to run our chest freezer, frig, and itermittently our well pump. I figured an idling 6.5TD is far more pleasant to me and my neighbors than a normal generator. I was thinking of getting a good size inverter and putting it under the middle row seat. I have not yet done the math on wire size, but will likely use smallish welding cable since it is so nice and flexible.

Has anyone had experience with this? What are you running off it? How many watts? Also about how many amps is the alternator rated for in a '94 3/4 ton?

Thanks for the help.

DmaxMaverick
04-04-2005, 16:02
Freezers, fridges and well pumps actually run on very little current, and your alternator/inverter would probably be able to handle it. The problems come up when these motors need to start. They are capacitor start motors, and I don't think you will be able to set up a system to handle it, and the well pump is likely 220 volts or better. The surge requirement will be well beyond what is practical, or possible. A 4,000 watt generator will barely be able to handle it, and if ONLY one appliance is operating at a time. For probably less money, you should be able to pick up a 110/220 RV generator. They are quiet and powerful, not to mention designed for these situations.

To answer your question, no. Not a good option.

Too bad you aren't a little closer to CA. I have a 6500 watt Onan I don't need any more. I used it for just what you need one for, but some modernization of our electrical service has had us nearly outage free for several years. The generator is too large for my RV (I tried to make it fit).

You could also install an inverter onto your engine that is rated for your needs. It is like the other engine accessories and runs off an accessory drive belt. Heavy duty. I know of several contractors that use them in place of construction site generators. They generally use 1/4th the fuel, are comparitively quiet and more powerful. Problem is justifying the cost. Search past posts, IIRC, at least two members have/had them. The brand name escapes me.

ees
04-04-2005, 17:10
I hadn't thought about the 220v issue. I just went down and looked and it is a dual pole 20 amp breaker. The well pump was secondary. I guess I will get a meter out and see what the chest freezer pulls on startup.

Maybe I will dust off the electronics books and build a soft start circuit... Always more pleasant that cracking into the sick transmission has left my truck stranded in the same spot in my driveway for 2 months. Grrr.

Kennedy
04-05-2005, 04:49
If you own a tractor with a PTO, a PTO type generator will do well and should be fairly reasonable.

moondoggie
04-05-2005, 05:30
Good Day!

[i]

schamp
04-11-2005, 03:58
Check out Aura Systems and their generators which fit under the hood. Either 5000 or 8000 watts. I just put one on my new 6.5 I had Avant build for me. Then get a home transfer switch and when the power goes out you can start your truck and plug into your home. 5 or 8 K will run 6 to 10 circuits in your home. Produces either 115 or 230. I have had one in my 96 suburban 5.7 for about 5 years. Expensive but a great product.

JeffsTowTruck
04-11-2005, 13:04
I SAW YOU MENTIONED N&W TRUCK ON YOUR WEBSITE.. ARE YOU CLOSE TO THE ROANOKE AREA?
SORRY, DON'T HAVE A CLUE AS TO YOUR GEN. IDEA.. :confused:

ees
04-11-2005, 15:42
Yup. Live in Vinton, work in Roanoke, miss that old truck.

I take it you are in the area. Drop me a line some time. Work is 857-9871 x201.

On the generator/inverter front I am still working on it. I will keep you all posted.

Schamp that set up sounds perfect! Sadly since this truck has already been a gapping hole in the earth I am pained to put much more money in it. I would love to have that exact setup some day.

tom.mcinerney
04-11-2005, 20:35
A used welding generator with a standby output might suffice. And ANY loud , high-revving single or twin-cylinder engine will go thru a vast change in character if you pipe it's exhaust into any automobile muffler.
The small, hi-revving generators are more subject to overheat damage than an older larger welding rig.
For the record , if you have a big old electric motor, it could be driven and used as a generator, but that points to the PTO suggestion made above. I may be able to come up with a link to an automotive alternator mod that would deliver maybe 20 amps at 125 volts. If you're into power electronic capabilities , it might be possible to use a few heavy truck alternators as phases or inputs to a synchroconverter that might yield outputs in the 4KW range. But it would be simpler to buy a used generator to drive...again the PTO suggestion.