PDA

View Full Version : '94 K3500 Dually - Recommended Service

Hooter
07-19-2007, 06:37
Just picked up this truck from a farmer because he couldn't keep it running. Wound up needing a lift pump, OPS, and a PMD(relocated to front of grill). Stole it for $350. 135,000 miles, 5 speed, extended cab, long bed. Pretty beat up, but perfect for towing. Other than oil changes, looks to have had little service done on it. Here's a list of what I plan on servicing:

Trans fluid(it's a 5 speed)
Differentials
Transfer Case
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
Belt
Hoses
180 thermostat

This is my first go around with a diesel and wondering what else needs serviced on this. Did some research and learned about the PMD issues. Also looks like I may want to consider the cooling system upgrade since I plan on using this to tow my 65 GTO.

a5150nut
07-19-2007, 13:24
If your going with the 97 duel thermostats might as well look at the timing chain or go with the gear drive set up. And clean the radiator and engine oil cooler too.

While your under the hood clean all electrical connections, especially grounds. Might go with the battery cable mod too.

Hows she run? Might be time to consider a set of squirts too. Oh and rip out the snorkel on the intake to get more fresh air into the air filter box.

Hooter
07-20-2007, 05:50
Considering how this truck has been abused, it runs like a top. After getting it running, I drove it home 40 miles and didn't miss a beat.

I'm figuring on upgrading the cooling system next, then looking at replacing the injectors and glow plugs as they are original. Since I'm on a tight budget, these upgrades probably won't happen until next year after I drive the thing for a while and make sure it's worth putting the extra money into it.