PDA

View Full Version : How true is this? What do you think?

j_k_auto
07-19-2007, 19:23
I am looking at options on where I want to go. I was doing research since I pulled my engine. I am searching ic and conversions to see what is going to be my best bang for the $$$. Anyhow I came across this for the dmax and I do see the stock 04 on up is 310 @ 3000 hp 590 @ 1600 turque If this is true than I should be able to get my 6.5 to a run like/with a stock 06 dmax if I am right. What do you think?:confused:

1993-up GM 6.5L Turbo V8

The GM 6.5L was an evolution of the 6.2L. With a slightly increased bore and stroke, it was larger by a few cubes but it had a stronger bottom end, better heads and, best of all, turbocharging. Like the 6.2, it was used in the half-tons on up, but the applications were somewhat more limited than the 6.2L had been. There were 155 hp NA engines available for certain applications, the Humvee for example, but they are uncommon in general use. The turbo engines cranked out an honest 190 hp and 385 lbs-ft in most applications. The very first year used a mechanical DB-2 pump like the 6.2L, but the troublesome weak link has been the first generation DS-4 injection system that followed. It combined a mechanical pump with electronic controls and was a bit cranky at first. The fixes are in place to make it work well nowadays. Being a somewhat stronger platform, the 6.5 is capable of up to 300 reliable hp and about 550 lbs-ft., but you have to spend some fairly serious money (a special injection pump) to get it past about 250 hp. It desperately needs intercooling with the boost needed to make 300 hp. This engine remains in production, with some limited applications in the commercial GM truck lines and with the AM General military Humvee and the civilian H-1 Hummer.

Robyn
07-20-2007, 07:26
Howdy

The 6.5 is an evolution of the 6.2 Now here is the real deal. The crank is identical to the 6.2, you can use a late 6.2 crank (91-93) with one piece rear main in a 6.5.
The bearings are the same identical parts on both as are the rods.
The pistons on thre 6.5 were made to the same weight so the cranks could be used without any alterations in the production ballance.

The addition of the turbo and some slight changes in the precup port size is about it.
The cams are the same too.

The bottom end of a 6.5 is not stronger than a 6.2 and given the addition of the turbo and a higher power rating this accounts for the higher failure rate.

The late 6.2 blocks were a 599 casting. The early 6.5's were a 599.
Same goodies right down the line.

About 300HP from a truck engine is about tops without the good possibility of turning it into a crispy cinder.

You can go more but you absolutely have to drive it with the instruments and one time with someone not used to the truck driving it and it may be over.

This is the reason GM went to all the trouble to install so much ion the way of controls and set the max boost and power levels so low.

Good luck and have fun

Robyn