PDA

View Full Version : just got a 6.5TD

Propayne
07-20-2007, 11:36
well i just picked up a spotless 1995 6.5TD. GMC C2500 ext cab long bed with 107,000 miles. ive tried searching, but sense i know almost nothing about these motors...i cant get the search descriptive enough to do any help.

I plan on leaving this truck stock like it is minus a 3.5 inch exhaust to get it loud.

what suggestions and symptoms of trouble should i be aware of...ive read the stickies so any help on this truck would be helpful! thanks!

j_k_auto
07-20-2007, 11:50
pmd go bad all the time. cooling issues all the time. ehaust restrictive go 4" Air intake restriction update to the 97 on up filter setup. Heads gaskets go. blocks can crack. ip go bad.

That should keep you busy searching for a while till you have more questions:D

trbankii
07-20-2007, 14:38
Pick up copies of the 6.5TD books - a great start to getting to know about your truck:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/65book.htm
http://www.thedieselpage.com/65bookii.htm

moondoggie
07-20-2007, 17:01
Good Day!

If you just want it loud, straight-pipe the muffler & cat. ;)

Either a 3 1/2" or 4" exhaust will fix the turbo downpipe problem (from the factory, this pipe looks like it was run over by a truck, several times - VERY restrictive). Either of these will have a couple benefits you won't necessarily know about: 1) more boost (unless you have gauges); 2) more power (it's there, it just might not be enough to notice without a dyno run).

3 1/2 or 4" is a matter of opinion. The Sub that won the 6.5 part of the Power Pull last year (ronniejoe) has I think a 3 1/2" system, so going to 4" is unlikely to help you any, especially since you've stated you intend to remain stock. His engine's making maybe 1.5x the power yours or mine are, & it doesn't seem to be cramping his style. (Verify this if it's important to know, I'm going from memory, always dangerous. :eek: )

As stated elsewhere, get your FSD/PMD away from the engine. I & others have mounted ours in front of the driver-side headlight on a big heat sink; others buy Heath's setup, which puts it on the aluminum gravel guard under the front of the engine.

Blessings!

Propayne
07-20-2007, 22:35
well im pretty knowledgeable about powerstrokes and cummins...and some on the D/A combo...just this truck was a pretty good deal...and runs wonderfully so far. As for the FSD/PMD i dont know what that means..but ill spend some time tonite finding out.

i guess my general question is...if i take good care of this motor, such as regular oil and filter changes and coolant services will i have minimal problems. Or should i be nervous at all times and listen to the mid90s GM diesel bashers?

trbankii
07-21-2007, 06:10
You'll find many on this board with hundreds of thousands of miles on their 6.5TDs. Take care of it, know its limitations, know its weaknesses, and you'll have good service from it.

Of course, the one issue is knowing whether the previous owner took care of it...

moondoggie
07-21-2007, 07:24
Good Day!

FSD = Fuel Solenoid Driver; PMD = Pump-Mounted Driver. They are one & the same part. It's the black thing on the drivers side of the IP (injection pump) about the size of a pack of cards. Do some searches - it caused LOTS of problems; getting it out of under-hood heat seems to be the fix.

There's a topic (I think in the Member's forum) that lists all the acronyms.

Blessings!
(signature in previous post)