PDA

View Full Version : Are 1994 Suburban 6.5 TD Good or junk?

442john
07-20-2007, 19:15
I have a 1989 6.2 Diesel Suburban 1500 4x4 with 82000 +/- (driven daily), has little rust in pass front fender? and little rust on inside of front drivers door. We really like the '89 Suburdan, but I have just found a 1994 Suburban T.D. 4x4 2500 with 142,000 miles that is in very, very good condition. The previous owner had injection pump changed under warranty at arround 100,000. The rear air on '94 isn't blowing cold, front very cold, and the check engine light comes on, then off, not constant but spuratic, on interstate and it does blow black smoke. The 94 has only been driven under 600 miles in 9 months. My wife and I like the '94 stlye, but wife thinks it has smaller interior than 1989, and rear A/C concerns her. I like the extra power the turbo gives, but the owner said he tought it got aroun 12-13 MPG Hwy? Does the 1994 have the bad Injection pumps and are they electric or mechanical? We got 15.99MPG running 70-80 in mountains with 1989. Which one would you want to put your family in? Thanks and God bless, John

Hooter
07-21-2007, 07:55
I'm new on this board and to diesels, but here's what I've came across on my '94 Dually I just picked up non-running:

The PMD on the electronic injection pump(yes, it's electric) was bad and need replaced. I also relocated it on a heat sink to the front of the truck.

The lift pump located on the frame rail was bad.

The OPS switch was also bad.

After replacing these, my truck runs great. I was able to pick it up for the low price of $350.

Robyn
07-21-2007, 07:56
I have had two (2) 94's and they are great trucks.
The issue with the black smoke and the SES light are probably linked to either a bad wastegate solenoid, vacuum lines from the vacuum pump or the vacuum pump itself.

These are easy issues to diagnose and fix.
The AC issue with the front being cold and the back not can be related to the expansion valve in the rear AC unit.
If the front gets good and cold then the system is ok.
It could also be slightly low on charge too.

The long lines that run to the rear of the truck plus the other extra parts that hold refrigerant require more R134 than a single dsash system.
If the system gets slightly low it will not allow enough liquid R134 to flow to the rear unit and spray though the expansion valve.

The front system uses an orifice tube and it is very close to the condenser so it gets liquid first.

If the compressor is quiet while its running its in good shape. If the compressor is very rattlely when running then its time for a new pump.

Overall the 94's are a fine rig.
If its had an IP change it should be good to go.
You can pull the DTC up easily with a little code reader that plugs onto the ALDL connector which is just below the bottom of the dash under the steering wheel.
Plug in the little device and then turn on the key. The SES light will flash one set of numbers then pause and then falsh the second set.
My bet is you have a code 78 showing (wastegate solenoid)

Use this issue of the black smoke and the ses light as a bargaining chip.

Good luck
If you get the rig we can help you fix it.

OH and glad to have you onboard..:D

Robyn

bbtlr3
07-21-2007, 10:39
My 94 K2500 Burb got me 16mpg through the twisities climbing throught the central Idaho Mountains with 4.10 gearing. I was on and off the throttle continually and a lot of +/-6% grades 2 lanes. When I got mine the wastegate was stuck and the Oil pressure switch was bad. I was overseas and my wife took it to a shop adn they told her new turbo new lift pump and new injection pump. I told her, drive the other car I'll be home in a month. Got home, lift pump good OPS was bad, turbo good, wastegate stuck WD40 and some working the linkage fixed it. IP nothing wrong. Needless to say we won't be recommending that shop to anyone even with their "GM certified Diesel Mechanic". Over all I give the 94 Burb a thumbs up been running great for me. Good luck

442john
07-21-2007, 21:38
Thanks for feedback and I hope I'll get more. The 1994 Suburban is priced at $3500, is it a good price? It is from Michigan Citty Mi, but it looks like there isn't much rust???? Its spent at least 8 years in South and sat inside most of tine. New tires, Like new cloth sets(wish it was leather!), nice red paint with fender flares and running board,barn doors, aftermarket CD that sound great and I like the gauge cluster. It does need rear tail pipe(i would probably get bigger exhaust anyway), and I would have what rust that is there touched up. Is this too high? I made a swing at $3000, he said no. I'd sure like to get it for $350.00 like that Dually!!!! Thanks and God bless, John

hayhauler69
07-22-2007, 06:22
3500 bucks doesn't sound bad to me. Of course sight unseen who knows for sure, just have to go by your gut feeling I suppose.
I bought a 1995 GMC K2500 with 101000 miles for four grand.
Of course I had to put another four grand into it to make it a good runner.
Out here in the Northwest these trucks are going for 8000+ with low miles.
Keep in mind that if you get the Burb, this is a great place to come for help.
Many people love these rigs and are more than happy to help.

Robyn
07-22-2007, 07:41
Crawl around under the beast.
If there is no rust other than maybe a little surface scratch or so and the interior is nice and the thing is otherwise straight , $3500 is a bargain.

Out here in the Northwest you can find them but the prices tend to be a tad higher. I sold my 91 a few weeks ago for $5000

At that price ($3500) you can afford to completely rebuild the engine and tranny if need be and you will have a lovley truck for the family that will run you a long time.

I paid $8500 for the 94 we have at present but that was back in winter of 05. That was an ebay truck deal too with only Pix to look at.

Anywhere that salt is used in the winter makes finding good used rigs tough for sure.

Out here we dont use that stuff so its very common to see 50's and 60's rigs still cruising down the road on a regular basis.

There is a fellow locally that was running a semi car hauler from this area back to the midwest somewhere and taking good used cars from the west back and selling them to some used car dealer there.
With the steep fuel costs now I am not sure if he still is or not

Good luck with the Burb deal

Robyn

robscarab
07-22-2007, 17:00
I paid 2500CAD for a 93 6.5 TD Crew cab dually with a broken crank! I have just completely rebuilt and thoroughly upgraded the engine at a great cost yet I still feel that this was a great deal ! Heres why: new engine good for 300,000+ miles ; parts for the truck are cheap and plentiful anywhere in north america; these vehicles are great handling and are still quite modern looking; they ride and handle much better than your older generation Suburban. I also have a 1993 Suburban 4x4 gas pot with a 350. It has cost me nothing in repairs over 9 years and 450,000 total km,s ! Brakes, tires, oil and grease...thats it! Contemplating a diesel swap into it after I get my Dually finished.

I would jump on a deal like that 94. Even if it required an FSD etc. you will have a fuel efficient family mover under $5000 that has years of service left in it! If it eventually needs a motor than its value should increase by the amount you invest into it (at least here it certainly would).There are very few 6.5 TD Subs for sale up here in Canada and when they come on the market they disappear within hrs... at double the price of a gas-pot!

Good-Luck!

Rob

442john
07-23-2007, 21:24
Guess I'll have to stick to my 1989 6.2 diesel Suburban, he said he sold the 1994 Suburban. Thanks for all the feedback!!!! God bless, John