PDA

View Full Version : Turbo madness

TomEichenberger
07-23-2007, 18:31
The madness continues. I let my membership to the DP lapse a few years back, cause the old '90 Burb was mechanically sound, and has been trouble free,...still... something missing.

I have been toying with the idea of turbocharging the "Silverbullet", going as far as requesting info concerning 18:1 pistons, and buying a 6.5 turbo manifold and intake, along with the GM 6.2 engine manual off e-bay.

Well, Shazam; on Craigs list, not 25miles from the 'hood, comes up an '86 K1500 (or was the designation K15, no matter) with a Banks unit and and a body in beautiful shape. That's the good news.

OK, the bad news; It's on it's third 700R4 (and this one has black, burned fluid). However, I had a heavy duty 700R4 installed in the'90, so its a swap.

The engine...hoo boy. The seller informed me that, first, it stated leaking copious quantities of dino blood (I figure rear main seal). Then it started to...spit, that's right, spit. The engine would lose power and start to "spit"' repeatedly, and then fart a great cloud of black exhaust.

Well, it gets better, (or worse). The starter failed, and he bought a chain parts store rebuild. This worked until one morning, he went out to start it and...nothing but a click. He charged the batteries, cleaned the contacts, and..nothing but a click.

The engine is 2 qts. low,and he doesn't know if the engine turns over.This doesn't sound like the classic '83/'88 busted crank story. According to the seller, there was no vibration, shaking etc. Any thoughts?

Robyn
07-23-2007, 18:37
If the price is right go for it.
I have drug home worse stuff and was happy as a clam with it. :D

Robyn

TomEichenberger
07-23-2007, 18:50
Thanks for the reply Robyn. Yup it mine, good ,bad, or whatever. I may be posting this in the wrong forum. What I'd like are some ideas/thoughts as to what is causing this engine to spit/puff black smoke. (From the look of the brake peddle, I'd say this engine has over 200,00 miles. Any insight would be appreciated..Thanks, Tom