PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 oil cooler size?

thejim662
07-24-2007, 02:41
Hi All,
Finally finished my 82 6.2 rebuild and it's just about ready to drop in to my Landrover 90 .
I keep hearing that these motors have cooling issues, so I am wondering if my Land rovers cooling system is up to the job?
It originally had a 4.0 liter v8 gasoline engine fitted.
I have already fitted twin electric cooling fans to the radiator and will be fitting plenty of cooling scoops to the hood.
What I need to know is should i fit a much larger oil cooler while I have the chance? and if I do will it help with cooling at all?
Thanks for any advice given.
Jim

Robyn
07-24-2007, 07:23
Keep in mind that the original gasoline engine radiator is about half the size you need for the oil burner.

The original 6.2 fan will almost suck the grill through the radiator when the clutch hooks up. The best electric fans fall far short of the CFM that a stock fan can pull.
Cooling one of the little GM diesels has been a very big stumbling block for many folks doing swaps.

The engine oil cooler is necessary item on any of these engines. There is a large heat load that is transmited through the engine oil.
A nice air to oil cooler roughly 12"x24" OR BIGGER will handle the job.

If you dont have the room out front for a stock size (or close) radiator you may need to consider placing a secondary radiator under the truck in a protected spot with an electric fan setup.

Square inches of radiator cooling area are what is important.
Look at the radiator in a standard gas GM pickup and then look at the same truck that has the 6.2. There is a huge difference in cooling size.

Good luck with the project.
Any questions can most likely be answered here by someone.

Robyn

ccatlett1984
07-24-2007, 23:23
the stock radiator for the diesel is 34"Lx19"H its a four core copper radiator, but the radiator is a 5core blank.

DA BIG ONE
07-25-2007, 05:35
It is always a good idea to pull as much heat from motor oil as you can after warmup temp has been reached. While the main job of the oil is to lube everything it also pulls lots of heat from everything it is contact with. As temps climb dyno oil starts to fail, cooling it extends its life, but synthetic will hold up much better.

SO, use synthetic and the largest oil cooler that will if along w/fan and thermostat control to cycle fan....................

I would reconsider venting hood, as it may defeat or limit the air flow through the radiator, shroud and fan, Top and rear of fenders are a much better venting area as seen on many rovers today as well as ford powerstrokes. This is not for good looks it is for extra cooling............

thejim662
07-25-2007, 11:30
I guess im going to have to fit an extra rad and a BIG oil cooler!
Dont want to waste all the money I spent on the rebuild!
many thanks
Jim