PDA

View Full Version : LMM Engine Oil

JZ
07-24-2007, 11:03
If you have an LMM you'll note the manual says using engine oil other than CJ-4 will cause permanent damage to the DPF. Went to get my first (free) oil change at the dealer today and stopped by the parts department. The oil they had was not CJ-4 and they did not realize the new truck had the requirement. Went to Advanced Auto and found 15W40 Rotella-T with the new CJ-4 rating. (Much of what Advanced Auto had was older stock and was only CI-4.) Bottomline, it may seem overkill, but checking the rating before it gets put in the LMM is likely a good idea.

JZ

Dakster
07-24-2007, 14:17
I don't think it is overkill to check the oil rating. I noticed the same thing at Advance (Discount) Auto Parts... I found Rotella T with the CJ-4 rating, but they other oil that was only CI-4 Plus.

Also check the ATF for the correct rating as well. The clerk was trying to sell me Dexron III or V, instead of Dexron VI - which is what the owner's manual calls for. I didn't get any this time around, I would like to find a source for the spin on filter that is less than $23 they wanted...

EdHale
07-24-2007, 15:20
I had two dealers try to put Dex III in my Allison before I gave up on them and bought some Dex VI and did it myself.

Try Kennedy Diesel for the spin in filter.

Ed

Dakster
07-24-2007, 18:06
Yeah. The dealers sometimes scare me. Thanks for the referral to Kennedy. I keep thinking all he sells is EFI Live...

Tractorhauler
07-25-2007, 05:26
Mobil Delvac I has the new CJ-4 rating doesn't it?

Dakster
07-25-2007, 12:06
Welp. Even if they do I would read the label to make absolutely sure you are getting the right stuff. There was Rotella T CI-4 mixed in with the new CJ-4. I read the labels of the three, 1 gallon jugs I bought to make sure I got CJ-4.

If you have a 2007 Classic or older truck it wouldn't be that big of a deal, as when they were built the highest oil spec was CI-4 Plus. However, with the LMM it could be a big deal.