PDA

View Full Version : Can't find fuel filter that fits

aquaman0001
07-25-2007, 05:11
Hello All,
I need to replace my fuel filter and I am having a hard time finding one that fits. Went to Advanced, brought it home....IT did not have threads on it. The one I currently have on has threads. Its a Hastings FF943. Did a Google and it did not come across many and it looked like the one I tried that did not work. Where is everyone getting theirs?
Thanks
A

Robyn
07-25-2007, 07:26
Is this the stock factory filter you are looking to replace??
If so Ma general can help.

I took my stock unit off and tossed it and replaced the thing with a Racor fuel/water seperator and was done with the junk dixie cup strainers
I mounted a Racor 230R2 unit up front by the LH battery on a new little bracket and replumbed things a bit.

let us know more info??

Robyn

JohnC
07-25-2007, 09:41
All 6.5 filters are manufactured by Stanadyne, regardless of what the box may say. They are not threaded, except for the bleed valve. The only threads I can think of are on the black plastic retaining ring which stays with the filter housing. Here's a picture.. (http://s94998462.onlinehome.us/hummer.html) (Third one down)

aquaman0001
07-26-2007, 05:27
I picked one of those up and it never seated properly and leaked like a devil. Found a reference on another site.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156382&page=3&highlight=leaking+fuel+filter
The 25th thread has a picture of a filter that looks just like mine. I ordered a filter with the same reference number that is stamped on mine. Hopefully it fits.
A

Hubert
07-26-2007, 06:24
News to me (not that that means anything) but all I've ever seen pictured was the metal topped filter with the seperate black ring for the 6.5 pickups.

Is that a van filter or just aftermarket or older unit? Does your fuel manager look different from other pickup truck units? How does that one seal differently? If the whole thing turns to thread down it can't key into the castlelations the same???

Any chance you buggered the metal top one up installing it? There is a little metal support band in the seal that can fall off pretty easily. They don't tolerate much commotion seating them. You really have to seat them squarely and smoothly with the castlelations aligned correctly in one go.

JohnC
07-26-2007, 08:25
Usually when they leak it's either because the filter isn't keyed correctly with the housing (one tab is bigger than the rest) or there's an extra gasket present from the previous filter.

The one in the picture on the other site looks like it replaces both the filter and the threaded ring. Probably someone's way of getting around the Stanadyne patent...