PDA

View Full Version : Tire make / size recomendation please

sturgeon-phish
07-25-2007, 08:25
Needing new tires and after doing a search on tire rack unless I get more info I'm looking at the Firestone Transforce HT or the Michelin LTX M/S. Any comments? Also the recomended size is 245 75r 16. Any value to upping to a larger size like a 255? I tow the 5th, stay on road most of the time and plan on keeping the truck for a long time.
Thanks
Jim

KallyI
07-25-2007, 08:36
My unit came from Ma General with the Michelin LTX M/S tires. After 3 sidewall blowouts, and having to pay 50% more for each tire than other brands, I switched, and have had no tire problems since. I also noted that I was only getting about 25,000 miles and they were worn out. this was on pavement and gravel, about 70/30 mix. The tire I have had since is a Reatailer brand, not sure who makes them, but I have been very pleased for over 130,000 miles. Just my opinion, but I have had other Michelins on other vehicles, and have experienced sidewall blowouts on all Michelin models, over 30 years of use.

Robyn
07-25-2007, 08:39
Stay with the stock size so all the instruments and such work right.
As far as brand goes, any of the name brands is pobably a good choice.
Out here I use Les Schwab tire co for all my needs including the big truck.
They sell Toyo and several other brands. I like to use US made tires but have found favor with the toyos in the big rig and also on the Burb and pickup.

later

Robyn

winemaker
07-25-2007, 14:38
My truck has 265/75R16 BF Goodrich. I assumed these were stock size, but I gather from the above post they aren't. I'm going to replace them this fall with the same size.
I've run BFGs on a number of vehicles and have always been happy with them. The 3 sets of Michelins I've driven on (Volvo 240dl, Toyota Tercel, Dodge Ram 250) were all treturous in the rain as they got on the old side, to the point of being scary.
My buddy just put a set of 265/75R16 Nokian Vativas on his 02 burb and he loves them so far. In BC, they're only sold at Kal Tire. I don't know if they're available all over, but I think I'll go for a set of these next time. They look to have the right combo of highway tread with a slightly aggressive pattern, and they carrry a 100,000 km guarantee. Good luck with your rubber. Brett

MTTwister
07-26-2007, 12:16
But I'm heading to AZ, and an working on the assumption that they will be better "aqua" tire for that 'monsoon' season. They did ok last winter on the Ice and snow, but not great. I upsized to the 265/75/16, but haven't changed the VSSB yet.