PDA

View Full Version : '95 C3500HD project truck

turbotim
07-27-2007, 07:29
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently bought a 1995 3500HD Cheyenne 2WD dually std cab with a 6.5L TD that has a blown head gasket (not sure what else, coolant in oilpan & flywheel won't turn either direction). I cut-off the oversized stake-bed that was covered with inches of paint as it had been used to paint barns, and am building a dump-bed with the help of a friend who has built one that I am basing mine on. The body and frame are in excellent condition(it's from GA.),and it has a 4L80E trans & Dana 80 rear diff.& only had 85k mi.when it was abandoned rather than paying the tow bill after the engine blew, which is why I was able to get it at a very reasonable price. I'm pulling the engine next to assess the damage and will decide whether to rebuild or buy a rebuilt 6.5L based on what is found with the aid of the same friend who is a diesel mechanic. The interior is trashed, and I'll need to replace the bench seat & dash including broken glovebox and ashtray, and the hood release cable works but has broken away from where mounted. I need to determine what year/model trucks would have an interior that I could salvage parts from. In addition to joining this group and ordering the 6.5L books, I've also purchased the entire Helm set of C/K manuals and am trying to prepare for what lies ahead. As I'm both a new member and new to this type of project, I welcome any advice (i.e. re-build kits,etc.) and am interested in possible upgrades to increase fuel efficiency and reliability for towing & hauling on this first diesel truck project...wish me luck! /// tim