PDA

View Full Version : Torson Bar SAFETY?

DA BIG ONE
07-28-2007, 07:51
I had just finished replacing the upper & lower ball joints of my RAM 3500 2wd, just put jack under lower control arm, worked like a charm.

So, now I'm thinking I can just use the jack under the lower control arm on my K2500 4wd leaving my torson bars alone to remove upper control arm to install DUAL shock hoop, is this crazy, or will I be able to this safely?

JeepSJ
07-28-2007, 08:35
You should be fine. I do the same thing when I am replacing ball joints. No need to unload the torsions if you are careful. I do let the lower arm rest on a stand though, not on the hydraulic jack. So, I jack up the vehicle and support the frame with stands. Pull the wheels. Jack up the lower arm maybe about an inch or so - not enough to push the frame off the stands - then let the lower arm rest on another jack-stand.

DmaxMaverick
07-28-2007, 11:14
They're not too bad, safetywise. If you back off the adjuster bolt on the cam (count the turns so you can restore what you had before), the bar unloads in a short stroke if you let down the lower arm. The spring torsion is very short thrown, and should unload easily. The spring will unload before the control arm goes too far.

DA BIG ONE
07-29-2007, 03:31
I'll be installing my triple shock hoops soon. After going through a set of HD Bilsteins up front then replacing them again w/HD Bilsteins again I find the HD Bilsteins are not up to the task of controlling shock to my front end resulting in excessive and random tire wear from bounce.

Wheels are not really that heavy I run Alcoas and 285-75-16e's SilentArmor.

Anyway, I will have the option @ ea corner to run up to 2 additional shocks w/factory shock in place =3, thinking only 2 will correct the problem.

JoeyD
08-08-2007, 18:26
Any pics of the mounts or truck? I always thought the bistiens controlled my truck very well even with my plow on. Are you flogging it over the bumps off roading and they are fadding?

DA BIG ONE
08-08-2007, 23:06
Na, no pictures but will get some together to post. Most of my driving lately is on paved road surfaces at high speeds. Tires develope a uneven wear pattern like when shocks are bad, I'm on another set of HD Bilsteins and thinking they are not up to the task as 2 sets of very costly tires have developed this pattern. I tried to get better shocks to no avail., yes, custom are available but I know nothing about proper valving.

Using GM factory truck body builders guide for my series truck I have made sure weight transfer on axles remained same as stock while adding aftermarket items, so front end is not being stressed.