PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 And Cummins Opinions What To Do???

j_k_auto
07-28-2007, 20:57
First thanks for all the time you guys gave me on the phone and pms and here on the forum. This is a hard battle for me to decide like I told ya's. I am just looking for more imput from my othr fellow 6.5ers :D ;)

Now with that said I am battling what to do with my burban. I am battling between my mind on going with a cummins but not 100% sure. I know there is fab work and parts I have to buy. I just want to make sure in the end my motor will not be at its end limit once I am done. I like the 6.5 but I can't see how I can achieve over 300 at the wheels without grenading the engine. I do know that pennisular makes 400 but price is ( not going to talk about it). Anyhow with a cummins I can start with 250 at the wheels and easily move up from there with bolt ons. I just tired of thinking what to do. I also never really driven in a cummins or know how they would sound inside. I do not want a racer but some performance and longevity it what I am after no matter what I do.:confused:

I am just open to ideas why go with the 18:1 or the cummins
Forget the fab as I already know mostly what needs to be done there.

thanks for any honest opinion guys:D
Joe

More Power
07-30-2007, 21:43
The first thing I'd recommend is finding a Dodge pickup with its drivetrain set up like what you're considering. Take it for a drive. The experience could be a lot different than the 6.5 - and I'm not talking just power. The older Cummins are really simple to get running, but are more noisy and have a much narrower power band. The newer engines are better from a driveability standpoint, and the common-rail engines are quiet.

The 1998 and newer engines are EFI.

Jim