PDA

View Full Version : hard start

mikey007
07-28-2007, 23:21
My 1998 6.5t is not starting well lately, and it started after a dealer replaced the starter. It has hard cold, and hard hot starts now, it'll crank for maybe 5-7 seconds before it'll start at times. What could it be? IP pump timing? or maybe the IP? Should you be able to hear hte lift pump at all when the glow plugs are warming up?

Mike

More Power
07-31-2007, 09:13
The lift pump on the 1996 and newer 6.5's should run for approximately 20 seconds when first rotating the ignition key to the run position (while waiting for the glow plugs to cycle).

There's tons of troubleshooting info here in the 6.5 forum that can be turned up using the search function.

Jim

mikey007
07-31-2007, 22:38
ok thanks. It seems to be running fine. It was a combination of bad gas, a dirty air filter, and a plugged gas cap, now it runs fine. Do you think these things would have caused this?

Mike

DmaxMaverick
07-31-2007, 23:43
ok thanks. It seems to be running fine. It was a combination of bad gas, a dirty air filter, and a plugged gas cap, now it runs fine. Do you think these things would have caused this?

Mike

Any ONE of them could have. It's always nice to find the easy (cheap) things is all it takes to get back to the good life.

Was it really "bad gas"? "Plugged gas cap"? That could explain a lot.....

mikey007
08-02-2007, 10:04
well i had the gas tested, and it just passed as diesel fuel. and when i took the gas cap off the first time, it shot off like 2 feet cause of all the pressure, so i think it was a combination of both. But now it runs awesome, so im happy.

Mike