PDA

View Full Version : water in fuel

John Worlow
07-29-2007, 09:07
I need a sensor for the 6.5 turbo diesel that displays when water is present in the fuel. A New Sensor is approximately 125.00 Are there any better deals or a way to properly test the one I currently have?

Robyn
07-29-2007, 09:29
Howdy and a warm welcome to TDP
Glad to have you on board :D :D :D :)

Best thing you can do for your little diesel creature is to take the stock filter off and throw it as far as you can and then go pick it up and toss it farther.

Now a racor part number 230R2 is the answer. The stock filter is a 10 micron filter which is barely above a clod sifter and will let a lot of potentially damaging materials through to the IP.
The part I have mentioned is a 2 micron filter and it has a water seperator and a clear bowl on the bottom so you can see whats in there.
The unit has a drain as well as a priming pump.
The cost is about what the water sensor alone from GM will cost you.
You will need to make a small bracket to mount it though.
Depending on the year of your truck it can be mounted easily on the LH fender by the ABS unit.
Splice into the fuel line at the original in the back of the engine and then run the feed line from the new filter to the IP.

This addition can buy you a lot of savings in the repairs on the IP.
The difference between 10 microns and 2 is enormous.
I just did this for my dually as the old filter was leaking at the heater.

I beleive the Racor is also available with a heater if need be..

Otherwise you might find a complete usable stock unit on ebay for cheap.

Hope this helps some

Good luck

Robyn

John Worlow
07-29-2007, 14:17
Robyn, thanks for the speedy reply. How do I find a racor catalogue, I am interested in the part #230R2 Where may I acquire the part? I assume your reference to IP is injection pump.Thanks J Worlow

Robyn
07-29-2007, 14:23
You are welcome :D
Almost any large truck shop or parts store should be able to get you the Racor unit.

Ask your local parts house and if they cant do it go to Racor on line and call them and get the number for a local area supplier

Good luck

Robyn

Robyn
07-29-2007, 14:30
Racor is a division of Parker Hannifin
Their number in California is (800) 344-3286
Call them monday.
Just looking at the box mine came in sitting here on my desk and the ### were on the box.. :) :) :D

Robyn

Robyn
07-29-2007, 14:43
Here is a link to a thread that I posted some pix of my filter install.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=28174

Have a look see, the filter is along side the alternator and under the top radiator hose. Its not easy to see but you will get the idea. The engine bay is not very roomy on these trucks to say the least.
Please be sure and use a good heavy duty hose to plumb the fuel in. You can route the line from the old filter area out and over the valve cover and then behind the Power brake booster and around the ABS unit. Some wrinkle wire loom wrap will double shield it from abrasion.
The outlet fitting from the filter turns at a 90 and heads to the rear and then the hose loops easily upand over to the IP inlet fitting.

Once you have the thing hooked up simply touch the fuse holder in the little juction block on the RH firewall to the bat+ post in there and hold the fuel line coming to the IP into a can and run the lift pump until you have clean air free fuel. Hookerup and your set. :)

Hope this helps

Robyn

Robyn