PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Valve Springs?

neo
07-29-2007, 18:29
Hi all, currently spending away on my 6.2 rebuild for the Wagoneer conversion. THings are all at the machine shop (for the rotating assembly anyways.) Soon I will be doing valves and heads, and have read various accounts of valve spring failure leading to an early engine demise. Any suggestions on the replacement of the springs? Also, do I get the nylon retainers for the rockers from the dealer? Last question (on this anyways) any word on the Victor Rienze (sp) gasket set? A vendor suggested them as opposed to the fel-pro and indicated they are the OEM. Thanks!
Neo

Robyn
07-29-2007, 20:06
Felpro is the hot ticket for head gaskets. The rest of the stuff is a grab bag as far as I am concerned.
The nylon buttons are a Ma General Item
Set the valve springs according to pressure and assembled height.

Good luck

Robyn

neo
07-30-2007, 12:40
THanks a bunch Robyn. I then can replace the springs with the GM springs without much concern into the future? I have read that the springs can fail prematurely and drop the valve into the piston where bad things happen.
I am also going to undertake a rebuild on the 700R4 soon and will be asking LOADS of questions about that too! THanks again!

Neo

ercaduceus
07-30-2007, 21:57
I thought the 6.5TD valve train issue was attributed to the nylon retainers coming loose with wear causing the rocker to move and drop a valve or bend a pushrod. I havn't heard any issues attributed directly to the valve springs. At least no more than other motors.

DmaxMaverick
07-30-2007, 22:23
I've seen 6.2/6.5 valve spring failures, but no more than any other engine. Probably less.

neo
07-31-2007, 08:09
Thank you all for the replies. I am a bit on the paranoid side, with all the $$ I am dumping in this rebuild. Appreciate it. I hope to get some photo's of the rotating assy next week and will try to figure out how to post them. Thanks again!

Neo