PDA

View Full Version : screwed up big time HELP!

birddog48
07-30-2007, 07:14
I was mounting my PMD in a remote location and inadvertently crossed the two red wires that go to the PMD. It will start now but misses, blows black smoke and won't rev past 2000 rpms. I put a new PMD on it and it didn't help I also tried unplugging the fuel shutoff solenoid but it wouldn't start at all then.What did I ruin? HELP!!!

rjwest
07-30-2007, 09:59
don't sound good, read codes , do a clear codes.

Or try disconnecting batteries for 30 minutes, better over night

PCM's are funny things, they have drivers that shut them selfs down when
shorted ( hopefully )

gmctd
07-30-2007, 10:35
Welcome to the 'Page, umm....pointer or setter?

Helps to know what you're driving - or, were driving before this incident........

Year, model, trans, gvw, etc - all highly important to the task of long-distance troubleshooting

Basically, you've connected the Fuel Solenoid to the Fuel Inject signal, and the FI signal to the Fuel Solenoid - may not have hurt anything, but should've logged a DTC, or two, which may have you in open-loop mode.

Bad case would be damaged FSD - worst-case would be damaged PCM

birddog48
07-30-2007, 11:06
It's a 94 chevy 3500,A/T,4x4
I replaced the FSD, didn't help. I also disconnected the battery but only for 30 min or so that didn't help either. I haven't checked codes but I will do that next. I don't know much about diesels,do the PMCs have to be flashed {like in a gas burner} if you install a used PMC ?

gmctd
07-30-2007, 11:30
No reflash - your '94 has an eprom chip, but still may require resetting the timing with a scantool

Where is the short black ground wire that was on the top of the Inj Pump?

birddog48
07-30-2007, 15:25
It was connected to the injection pump but I thought it might not have a good ground on the FSD so I moved it and grounded it to the FSD heat sink and the heat seat is bolted to the intake. It should have a good ground.
While checking I discovered it has a 95 ECM, I don't know what difference it makes but they have a different part# for each year.

gmctd
07-30-2007, 18:52
Ok - put that short black ground wire back on the top of the Inj Pump - very important that it remain there - Stanadyne even put a glob of sealer over the screwhead\terminal to prevent oxidation\corrosion at that location - that ~4" wire supplies total operating current to the Fuel Solenoid thru the FSD\PMD - very important that it remain - unlengthened - on the IP.

Not important that the anodized heatsink be grounded, but the grounding it does get thru mounting to the engine\body\wherever is not good enough for the FSD

JohnC
07-31-2007, 12:46
Anodizing does not conduct electricity!

I've seen transistor cases, that were hot, bolted to grounded anodozed heatsinks without insulators and they did not short!

gmctd
08-02-2007, 05:18
Correct - some vendors assume the drilled hole for the ground-wire and the mounting holes provide good grounding for the anodized 'sink - ain't necessarily so, tho - at any rate, Stanadyne intended that FS ground-wire be attached to the IP - most complaints are resolved by reattaching it, thereunto