PDA

View Full Version : Is a high volume water pump a good idea for my new motor?

asabadin
12-10-2004, 18:11
Debating weather or not to put a high volume water pump on. is it woth all that cash? Is there a cheaper way to buy this high volume pump?
what are the pros and cons of this mod?

Also I am planning on getting a bigger fan. do i need to upgrade the fan clutch too? If so why is it a good idea(or not)

who has the best prices on these cooling upgrades?

More Power
12-10-2004, 19:02
Deciding whether to upgrade the cooling depends on how you drive your 6.5. If it'll see light-duty use, your stock cooling is fine. If you plan to tow heavy or work the engine hard, then yes, the hi-cap cooling mods would be a good idea.

The parts are all factory GM. So any GM dealer or OEM parts reseller can sell them to you. Kennedy Diesel makes it easy by offering "kits" containing everything you'll need in one box - for a price comparable to a GM discounter.

MP

markrinker
12-11-2004, 08:23
I highly recommend Kennedy's kit. Its performed well with my stock 1994, and VERY well after the 1998 motor swap. I never see temps over 160, even when pulling 10K lbs at 70mph. The fan kicks in right when you need it, but doesn't run constantly wasting power.

Spindrift
12-11-2004, 09:46
Does it matter if you run 180s or 195s with JK's fan and clutch?

DmaxMaverick
12-11-2004, 09:54
Originally posted by Spindrift:
Does it matter if you run 180s or 195s with JK's fan and clutch? Yes. The thermostat(s) determine the temp. and threshold that the fan clutch will operate. The clutch engages/disengages dependent on the temp. of the air that passes through it. If the stat opens earlier, the clutch will engage earlier. If you install a lower stat, the fan will operate more often. If you have a healthy cooling system, the 195 will be ideal. The reason for installing a lower stat is for poor/underrated cooling systems. If you have a situation of "runaway heat", the lower stat may help to keep the temp from reaching that "point of no return". If your system is capable of recovering from a hot condition, then running a lower stat will only run the fan more often (annoying) and decrease economy, as well as increasing load on the belt and pulleys (earlier failure).

JohnC
12-13-2004, 15:19
Your thermostat(s) have to open before the fan kicks in, otherwise the fan will come on while the 'stats are still partially closed and they will be working at cross purposes.

A lower thermostat will not correct a cooling system that doesn't have enough capacity. It may, however, give you a few minutes more before you over heat...

Kennedy
12-14-2004, 05:46
Originally posted by More Power:
Deciding whether to upgrade the cooling depends on how you drive your 6.5. If it'll see light-duty use, your stock cooling is fine. If you plan to tow heavy or work the engine hard, then yes, the hi-cap cooling mods would be a good idea.

The parts are all factory GM. So any GM dealer or OEM parts reseller can sell them to you. Kennedy Diesel makes it easy by offering "kits" containing everything you'll need in one box - for a price comparable to a GM discounter.

MP Just wanted to add my $.02 here. I often here people claim "soccer mom" duty with their 6.5 so no need for cooling mods. I also here many of those same people call lookinmg for heads shortly thereafter. Not sure if it would have helped doing it earlier, but it definitely wouldn't hurt. My 96 had 118k on it and the heads had hno cracks. Came with the cooling mods from new.