PDA

View Full Version : Strange things happening on 95 2500

xcspxlt
07-30-2007, 10:58
Hello all,
95 k2500 6.5 Td. 110,000 miles. Been a great truck so far.
I hope someone can point me in the right direction here. Then again with all the symptoms maybe I am fighting more than one thing.
Problems started after a cleaning of the engine compartment witht he preassure washer.
the first day the brake, and anti lock brake lights were flashing on and off while running and the truck would kill occasionaly when stepping on the brake.:confused: This continued for ten minutes and then it ran OK but the brake lights were still acting up.
I let things dry out for a couple of days and then the truck ran fine but still the brake lights are acting up. One week later on two hour trip the air conditioning lights went out and lost the air. 6 hours later on the return trip the air was working again but still the antilock brake light was on. :cool:
Now prior to the next trip I disconected the batteries to reset the lights and this helped for one day. Now the air and fan will only work on the high fan setting, and this sometimes takes 10 to 30 minutes to start up:eek: . If I turn off the fan or down to a lower setting it will stay off for an unknowm period of time.
Dont know what to attack first in trouble shooting this problem????:(

byte
07-30-2007, 11:32
the first thing i do when my unit acts strange... unhook both negative battery terminals... leave them both off for 5 minutes... now the light won't blink for 5 minutes :D ... sometimes just making the computer restart helps...

gmctd
07-30-2007, 12:18
Start with the battery cables - power and ground - then the grounds at the rear of the intake mannifold, turbo-side - then the grounds from the frame to the body, down by the starter - don' t just look at them - disconnect, clean and reattach each piece - computers require hi-quality power and grounding - pressurized water illuminated some potential problems - better to find them at home than on the road

Then continue with the harness connectors, checking for oxidation\corrosion, etc

Then try unplugging the ABS computer, try a start, observe the symptoms - check that connector for same = oxidation\corrosion, loose wires, etc

xcspxlt
07-31-2007, 04:24
:)
Thanks for the Ideas. Started last night with the battery terminals again! Just worked on the stuff up top that I could get too while hot. Did not help. Sypmptoms are still the same.:( Will go underneath tonght. Any pointers on where the straps for engine to frame and body are located:confused:
Fan will only run on high with or without the A/C on. With A/C on it may or may not run at all, When on high the A/C lights are very dim, not bright like normal. This leads me to believe it is a open somewhere. A/C relay did not help.:(
Do the 95's have a thermistor/resitor in teh air box that will cause the fan to not run on anything but high???:confused:

xcspxlt
08-03-2007, 04:42
Went after the fan problem last night. :mad:
Had all voltages coming to the fan relay under the dash from all switch positions with the relay removed. Put relay back in and still only get fan on high setting. Pulled it again and tryed bypassing the relay with a straight wire. Still no fan. Until the third test all of a sudden the fan works. Put rellay back in and all is fine now. Even the antilock brake light went out on the dash, and the A/C lights or on bright again. :rolleyes:
Must have a flacky connection in the harness under the dash somewhere:(

a5150nut
08-03-2007, 20:51
Go down to Rat Shack and get a can or two of tuner cleaner and spray all your electrical pugs. This stuff has an oily after spray and cleans and then protects the contacts. Works for me. That and a little dielectric greese.