PDA

View Full Version : 5th Wheel vs. TT

jsmiracle
07-30-2007, 18:59
I am considering a 5th wheel. It is around 9100# when dry and empty. Currently, I have the TT in my signature. We enjoy the TT and it has most of what we want. We will incur some additional cost to replace the TT with a 5th wheel.

My questions are: What advantages/disadvantages does towing/hitching a 5th wheel have over a TT?

Overall, would you recommend a 5th wheel over a TT? (those who've had both)

Thanks,
Jim.

DmaxMaverick
07-30-2007, 20:50
Simply, I'll never have a TT again. Once you pull a 5'er, there'll only be 2 reasons to make you go back. Accessibility, both inside the coach, and campground requirements/convenience. 5'ers have steps up to the front area (bedroom/bath), which can become a problem for some people due to disability or age. And, they are usually higher (outside), and place more weight on the tow vehicle, which makes is difficult to pull it through very soft areas, like the beach dunes, and can't be compensated with a WD hitch.

Now for the positive.....

More trailer for the length. The tongue doesn't count toward the length. Many times, a 5'er is several feet longer (living space) than the advertised length, while a TT is shorter, because the tongue counts. The difference can be 6' or more, comparing a TT to a 5'er.

Towing experience. I have yet to have a fth wheel trailer "fish tail". Even passing semi's and strong cross winds, no fishing. The truck (driver) controls the trailer, not the other way around. Also, you can choose your weight displacement. There is a standard pin center placement, but it can be adjusted fore/aft according to your needs. If you have the cab clearance with your truck/trailer combo, turning radius is way better with a 5'er. Never count out the ocasional "jack-knife" you may need to get out of a sticky situation. If you have a shortbed truck, be sure you get a slider hitch, regardless of what the salesman says. If you need it once, it just paid for itself. I have a shortbed, and can't get into or out of my own driveway w/o it. And......No silly WD bars to mess with, or shatter your knee (or other body part) with.

Convenience. You can see the hitch while you hook up. Not required for a compitent hauler, but nice. If you are a moderate "hitcher", you don't have to get out and look, or need silly mirrors for help.

Safer. A coupled 5th wheel will stay that way, under all but the most extreme condition, which I have yet to see. For this reason, it is legal to have passengers ride in the coach while driving. Only constant 2 way communication (like radios or intercom, not cell phones) is required.

Storage space!!! Never underestimate this often forgotten need.

Capacity. Only the truck and hitch ratings limit this. You can tow a lot more trailer than a pull type trailer.

Towing versitility. If you need to, you can pull "doubles". If you have a utility trailer, small vehicle or boat, you can pull it behind your 5'er. A commercial license is required, and you must still keep the GCWR and length legal. Can't do that with a TT in all but a couple states (I don't recommend it in any state, legal or not, with a TT).

camperboy
08-03-2007, 11:52
I agree with every thing above, I ahve pulled a 5th wheel for 7 years and no problems. Like the extra space you get inside with a 5th wheel is well worth it.

kantra
08-06-2007, 15:35
I too agree with the above EXCEPT in many states it is against the law to be in the 5th wheel camper while its being towed. Not to mention when mine is closed up (the 3 slide outs) there is no room in the trailer except on the bed.
I have a 2007 silverado 2500HD with a 6.6 and my fifth wheel when loaded is 14000 lbs I did have an extra helper spring installed.

NutNbutGMC
08-06-2007, 19:23
Fifth wheel without a doubt and no comparison to a tag. Two seperate types of towing and manueverabilty all together.

I had a 40' 5er and would still be stuck in places had it not been for the fifth wheel hook-up.

Not to mention they tow very nicely getting on down the road, foot all down, gouging in the throttle, radio blasting, kids all happy, and Mama, showing some fine leg..... :D

DmaxMaverick
08-06-2007, 20:30
......and Mama, showing some fine leg..... :D

Chicken while driving??? Too greasy!!

Philsauto
08-06-2007, 20:54
If you are happy with the towing characteristics of the TT and its interior design, stick with it. But having towed both, I'd never go back to the TT. The fifth wheel is so stable and safe feeling, I have to set my cruise control to avoid going too fast. The speed limit for towing in California is 55mph and it is easy to let it creep up well past that with no sense of what is sitting out behind you. I feel cross winds even while towing my 17 foot boat, but not with the 32 foot, 10,000 pound fifth wheel.

jsmiracle
08-07-2007, 09:03
First, thanks for every reply. I think it's fair to say that most people who have responded like the 5er better. I think I will too with the exception of requiring greater clearence (I have a half-mile, private lane full of low tree limbs), additional cost, and greater wind resistance, when towing.

Next, I am curious as to the improved handling characteristics of the 5er, especially in emergency situations. I have not had a problem with crosswinds or sway of any kind with the relatively long TT. Nor have I had the occasion to handle the TT during emergency maneuvers (other than the occasional non-observant driver).

Can anyone speak to emergency handling characteristics of both the TT and 5er? Either unit?

Thanks,
Jim M.

rtphillips370
08-07-2007, 23:07
I have pulled both and without a doubt I would take a 5'er over a TT. As for maneuverability, the ability to get my pickup 90 deg to the side and turn the 5'er in place on its axle for a 180 deg turn the back yard is priceless, a maneuver that cant be done with a TT.

Robyn
08-08-2007, 07:15
Hello

Well I tow a large gooseneck horse trailer behind the dually.
Now a goosneck is going to handle the same way a 5er does as it still hooks to a hitch in the center of the bed.
I would never ever pull a bumper pull animal trailer ever again.
Going down the road at speed and the animals can shift there weight and do all sorts of things that can make things with the trailer get interesting.

I also like the ability to turn the gooseneck around. One can get the truck at right angles to the trailer and squirrel that thing in and out of places that a regular hitch pull just is not gonna do.

If you have ever had a trailer that likes to start swaying back and forth at random intervals without warning you fully understand the term "Pucker Factor"
Most large travel trailers are very heavy and the weight of the towed vehicle is more than what is towing it or at least very close to it.
This is not a good formula for many :D:D:D

With the 5th you get more weight transfer onto the rear axle of the truck at a point that some also will transfer forward too.
As far as emergency handling goes the 5er is going to be more stable and will be less likely to try and shove the truck around as the leverage point is much farther forward.
As the weight of the trailer rolls forward under a panic stop it is applied as down force on the hitch which is a blessing.

Now make no mistake any trailer can jacknife if the conditions are right, but as has been pointed out you can get a 5er at 90 to the truck and in some cases farther than that.

My gooseneck will allow me to get DaHooooley past 90 quite a bit, to the point that the trailer will roll backward as I go forward with the truck until the angle returns to 90 or beyond then it will drag the wheels sideways.
You wont do that with a TT before things start bending and tearing up both the trailer and the truck.

Bottom line, you could have a 5er come around on you in a nasty spot and still have a good chance of it not hitting the truck before it stops.

My vote goes to the 5er :):D:):D:) Better choice all around me thinks.

Robyn

OC_DMAX
08-08-2007, 17:40
There are advantages and disadvantages to both. I have owned both a TT (24 ft) and currently own a 5th Wheel (~30 ft).

TT Advantages:

You can still use the pickup bed while towing (motorcycles, bed cover, etc).
I believe the TT is easier to back-up into a camping space (for me at least).
No left-over hitch in bed when through towing.
Lower profile in general
Usually a "flat floor plan"

5th Wheel Advantages

More stable while towing (absolutely no doubt). Immune to large semi's passing by which was not the same for my TT
More storage space in the 5th Wheel compartments
The larger you go in size the more the advantages of the 5th wheel stability come into play.
The pin weight is over the correct spot, not leveraged 6 feet past the rear axle. There is a reason why all large trucks use the same hitch concept.
Others that I have not thought about in the short period of time.

When I buy my next RV, it will be a 5th Wheel. After owning one, I would not go back to the TT (especially as I go larger in size)

JeffsTowTruck
08-09-2007, 19:56
I'm no help!!!! I have never towed a 5th.. But I did change from 4 wheels to 6 and the diff is night and day.. I thought a dual wheel rig would be to big.. It has been the best change.. I have had several TT and this one is the longest @ 37'.. No problems an we love the room in the TT and in the bed. I took harley to Daytona and Golf cart to beach this year. Can pack the gas grille or most anything in bed.
So keep your TT and get a dually..

rustyk
08-13-2007, 22:54
First, don't listen to me, because I went from a TT to a motorhome, so I'm basically off the chart.

However, I have a 1-Ton extended van, and (stupidly) pulled a tow-behind (with brakes, equalizers, etc.). It didn't take much to convnce me that either I got a PU and a 5th, or a motorhome. There's intrinsically something stupid about hanging all that weight off a trailer hitch, even with load equalizers.

Now with the load equalizers, the TT wasn't all that bad, but maneuvering (I have experience in Real Trucks) convinced me that was a true PITA. As a marine engineer in a former life, the geometrics of the TT just made no sense.

The geometry of a 5th wheel, coupled wih the load balance, is sensibly the way to go. The weight distribution is far more rational, and the maneuvering much easier. My only gripe with contemporary 5th wheelers is they'v jacked up the front bedroom to the point the frontal area is absurd. Get one scrunched down, and you've got an ideal rig.

But, to reiterate - don't listen to me, because I elected to go with a Class A motorhome...

jsmiracle
08-14-2007, 05:23
Again, thanks to all those that replied. I am honestly weighing every post in my decision of whether or not to obtain a fifth wheel. I think my family and I would like one, but not at too great a cost. They sound great to tow and, being an engineer myself, seem to have a much better load distribution.

We are planning and saving for a trip out west (also north and south) in a few years (before kids get too old to be seen with Mom and Dad:rolleyes:). I would like to have a 5th wheel to tow by that trip.

Rustyk, I like the idea of a motorhome, but at least the following two things prevent it for me:

1) Out of my price range
and 2) I would lose most of my justification for my powerful, diesel truck!!:D

Thanks all,
Jim M.

6.5TDTahoe
09-25-2007, 21:32
For me the PullRite hitch enhances TravelTrailer towing expirence beyond anything a 5vr can offer. Trailer less initial cost per body foot,lighter per foot ,just as maneuverable reversing or anything foreward. Only thing I ever feel towing is occasionally at some certain distance behind a 53 ft or 2X27 trailers it seems like the top of my trailer has a small wiggle that is as subtle as some slightly irregular road surface.I figure it is disturbed or "dirty air" Easier to tow less weight, less height for potentially better MPG & higher speed hill climbing & ability to make time over the the heavier 5vr rig,with same power. Over the years I've seen many trucks in salvage sales with the fifth wheel badly damaged or ripped out that have been on there side or rolled. How did I get a PULLRITE ? Bought a dead truck same make/model as I have,fixed the truck,removed the hitch to mine & resold the truck for a profit. Prevous 4 wheel trailering expirence is 225K miles & never a scare.One time long trip in a 5vr with friends convinced me you had to have an animal under the hood to just get by & a banker to buy the fuel . Was not a pleasant expirence for me.To each his own !!!

cowboywildbill
09-27-2007, 04:20
We towed TT's and fivers and goosenecks. Our last fiver had a gooseneck adapter. We now tow a 40' goose LQ Horse trailer. I used to work part time for an RV dealer and I towed for them a lot. Everything from putting trailers in campgrounds for customers to picking up new units from the factory and hauling them back to the dealer.
I think the fiver in a camper is the way to go. And if you can use a gooseneck adapter on the trailer, then even better, it will give you room in the bed to haul some things and you don't have all of that harware taking up the whole bed. And if you want your bed, those fiver hitches are heavy and can be a bear to take in and out. But you do have to check and see if your fiver can handle the adapter, some advise against them. But the fivers pull better and safer in my opinion. Good luck in your endevour.

gillguy
09-28-2007, 07:31
I agree you get more bang for your buck with a travel trailer than a 5th wheel. I do not believe that the 5th wheel is that much superior towing compared to a travel trailer. A properly adjusted weight distribution and sway control on a trailer is a must have. Get a Reese Dual Cam setup or if you have the cash get a Pull-Right or Hensly Arrow. To me the Reese Dual Cam is the poor man's Henlsy.
Also as far as pricing on a travel trailer look at RV Wholesalers in Ohio.
I bought mine from them and saved a butt load of $$$. Worth the drive there to pick it up.
Good luck

stacker
10-14-2007, 17:35
Just wondered if anyone pulls in od with a 5sp stick my 3500 won't do it. pulls in third ok. turn her up when we got back today from a 300 mile trip pulling a 28ft 5th with a head wind about 64 at 2400 what you guys think?

Kejsj30
11-08-2007, 21:56
After towing a fifthwheel aside the fact of my personal liking to the layouts.........a fifthwheel does trailer a lot better than any bumper pull I've ever pulled

almo
11-12-2007, 17:07
I chose a 5ver, I can't do all the driving .My wife drives the highway and she is a little jerky on the curves. I find the 5ver much more forgiving due to having the weight over the rear.

Stlheadake
11-13-2007, 02:45
I have towed a variety of RVs. I can say that the fifth wheel is the way to go purely from a trailering perspective. They are a dream to pull compared to a TT.

Our last trailer was a 28 footer that was great. We had room, but I hated the way it towed. I puckered every time I passed a semi. I tried everything adjusting the hitch height, more pressure on the WD hitch, tighter sway bars, and nothing stopped it from swaying.

I got the truck, and made the jump to a fifth wheel. LOVE IT!! More room, more storage, more fun! I would recommend looking at your hitching options too. I would not have the hitch rails in the bed of the truck. Makes it hell for shoveling anything out of the bed. I went with the B&W hitch. The hitch is all under the bed, you only have the fifth wheel plate in when you tow. It comes out in minutes with one ratchet and socket, and you have a completely clean bed to work out of if you need to, and you have the ability to tow a gooseneck if you need to.

I can second the wholesalers in OH. We saved a bunch on ours. The day I picked up ours, there was a fella and his wife there from Wyoming. They bought theirs online and drove out to pick it up.

I haven't pulled out west, but my truck handles my trailer pretty fine. Our trailer is 32 feet long and weighs in around 13K ready for a trip. I set the cruise control at 62 and here in the flat land I can average 14 MPG as long as I tap off the cruise when climbing a grade.

Just my two cents.

JohnC
11-13-2007, 14:02
Yeah, but it's harder to blow out your rear window backing a bumper pull...

;)

a5150nut
11-13-2007, 19:47
Yeah, but it's harder to blow out your rear window backing a bumper pull...

;)

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.........and how would we know this?????? :eek:

Got to be a story behind that statement! :D

JohnC
11-20-2007, 16:28
Fortunately, it wasn't MY story!

Filed under the "no good deed goes unpunished", though...