PDA

View Full Version : No turbo boost

ctak
07-31-2007, 10:44
I was driving back from a weekend camping trip and noticed that I didn't have any boost pressure from the turbo. I was pulling a boat and was on the flats so I didn't notice it that much but when I started up a hill I had a drop off in power and black smoke out the back. I pulled over and didn't notice anything wrong w/ the turbo, turbo master, or intake. I babied it home and am now trying to find out the problem. I looked at the turbo and spun it around it seems fine. There seems to be a small crack in the cross over exhaust tube but not enough to cause a big problem. I'm hoping someone can direct me to a possible cause. Thanks,

DennisG01
07-31-2007, 11:40
Do a search for your problem - there has been lot's written on this subject: Wastegate solenoid, vac pump, vac lines are all probable.

FLSTSS
07-31-2007, 13:09
Hey CTAK,

I have a 97 k1500 when I tow my enclosed trailer my in 3rd if the revs go to high the boost cuts out. I don't know if anything is wrong with that but it seems right to me. Anyway if I check to see if there are any codes with my code reader there are none, but I do a clear and the boost comes right back. I'm sure someone on this forum will be able to head you in the right direction...

stingthieves
07-31-2007, 13:26
didn't notice anything wrong w/ the turbo, turbo master, or intake.

I think we might need to read a bit more carefully before we trash the non existent vac boost controlled system on his truck.

But that really doesn't help does it?

JohnC
07-31-2007, 13:45
Take another look at the crossover. If the crack opens up it'll bleed pressure off the turbine better than any wastegate. Can you hear the leak?

DaveNY
07-31-2007, 18:08
Take another look at the crossover. If the crack opens up it'll bleed pressure off the turbine better than any wastegate. Can you hear the leak?
Had this exact problem. Threw a low boost code dont recall #, did not make a lot of noise either.

DennisG01
08-02-2007, 07:50
I think we might need to read a bit more carefully before we trash the non existent vac boost controlled system on his truck.

But that really doesn't help does it?

You got me!:D

Try having someone follow you to see how much black smoke is coming out of that crack - it should be visible from behind your vehicle, while looking underneath. A few years ago, I had a hole in my crossover and my wife noticed it while she was following behind me. At the time I didn't know I had a hole, but I experienced symptoms similar to yours.